• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Karl

Depending on the year that the Bass was made, some do have weak G string issues. So by raising the pickup on the G string side helps to correct the problem.

Daniel

Hey,

I noticed that my pick up is uneven. Higher under the G string. Is that deliberate?

Hi Brian,
If you have a Stingray Special 4, the pickup heights would be set higher on the G string to balance the sound of the bass and pickups. However, our factory heights are just a starting point and you can change them as needed to meet your preference.

DrMatthewCross

Depending on the year that the Bass was made, some do have weak G string issues. So by raising the pickup on the G string side helps to correct the problem.

I've read about that problem, but I didn't know it was related to some specific years. I guess is now solved?

tbonesullivan

The G string has a lot less mass than the other strings, so naturally it will have less output, regardless of the bass. It often seems to be more of a voicing issue than anything else. Raising the one side of the pickup does help, and also helps to tame the big B string on 5 string basses.

This is one reason I generally use a compressor. The massive signal released by playing the E and B strings above the 7th fret is enough to overdrive most amplifier input stages.

jb90

I setup my pickups by ear. But I measure the distance between pole piece on pickup and the bottom of the strings and with Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats it shows about 6/32 under G and about 7/32 on E. Clean and even sounds on every fret and good balance between strings. Good string height setup according to fretboard radius helps too.

Top Bottom