• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Ek11sx

Hey all,

So I have noticed recently that my SSS Cutlass is generating more pickup noise than my Fender Tele is which has no noise canceling system. I changed the battery and it didn’t change a thing. I read through all of the old threads and I see a lot of talk of adjusting the trim pot but I would like to hear what you all have add if anything at all.

Thanks

TripHazard

Not a problem I’ve had with mine. Might be worth popping the guard off and checking the connections on the PCB if it is something that hasn’t always been there. Then you can also look at the trim pots - but I would have thought the trim pott setting would be the last point of consideration if the noise issue hasn’t always been there. Could you get a recording of the sounds so that you could share with us here via soundcloud - perhaps a clip of the Cutlass and the tele so we can hear your frame of reference?

Ek11sx

Ok so before I take the pick guard off here are two sound clips. One is the cutlass, cycling through all five positions and then the tele in each of the three.

Cutlass by Eric Klinger - Listen to music

Tele by Eric Klinger - Listen to music

The humming/buzz/noise gets worse on the cutlass as I move from the bridge to the neck. The tele is basically silent. Mic was not moved and the amp settings remained the same for each recording. The guitars were held in the playing position

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
In the neck/middle position it should be nearly humbucker silent. Your humbucker should also be silent. That they are not suggests a small problem somewhere, possibly a poor ground connection somewhere but without the guitar in front of me it's impossible to diagnose.

Get in touch woth customer service, see the links in my signature below this post. In the US/Canada you can call toll free.

Ek11sx

Couple notes from this morning:

The buzz/noise/hum stops when the strings are touched as well as any other metal part on the guitar. Also, the noise is completely eliminated when I turn the tone all the way down as well as the volume.

TripHazard

That sounds like a grounding problem to me. The connection might just be iffy. You’ll have to pop the pickguard and trem cover off to check the grounding connections.

Daniel

Couple notes from this morning:

The buzz/noise/hum stops when the strings are touched as well as any other metal part on the guitar. Also, the noise is completely eliminated when I turn the tone all the way down as well as the volume.

Hi there,
The guitar is grounded through the bridge, so if you are not touching the strings, it will hum, even with the silent circuit. I would suggest trying to adjust your trim pots for the silent circuit. If you are still having issues, shoot me an email at [email protected] with your guitars serial number and I'll help you out.

Ek11sx

Thanks, Daniel and all.

Is there a resource or guide on how to adjust the trim pot? I am not familiar. If it would be easier to move this to email that more than ok, just let me know. Thanks again

TripHazard

Cool man - keep us posted. It’s good to build up a databank of solutions as problems crop up. It’s definitely not normal cos none of mine sound like that

Nonserviam

Good morning, sorry to necrobump this thread. Was this situation ever resolved? My Cutlass HSS is behaving in the exact same manner. The trim pot has no effect. Bridge and Position 4 are both silent. The other three are noisey to varying degrees. Turning the tone pot down all the way takes it out but leaves me with mud. Advice?

Nonserviam

Well, that's unfortunate. I've sent the gentleman a private message as well. I don't really want to make a full blown post but I feel like I'm out of possible solutions.

TripHazard

You’ll probably be better served going straight to customer services - they are very responsive and helpful. Send them audio files so they can hear it for themselves

fabianFrance

Hi Guys, I'm a new member, from Normandy, france.. I have a friend who has an issue with a 1978 stingray..as soon as he plays, there's a noise...(like a tiny "fuzz") the noise is not permanent...only when he hits the strings...i don't think is a faulty ground...any ideas? I have some audio samples.

thanks in advance
fabian

Last edited:
Top Bottom