• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

aaronstrumpel

So, I am thrilled with my new Ernie Ball Albert Lee MM90! Well, it's a 2001, but there's maybe one ding on it that I can see on the back of the neck. White sparkle finish with birds eye neck...workmanship, finish, tones, just killer! I just wish it had a trem. I love it enough to keep it hardtail if I have to - but every other guitar I own has a tremolo of some sort and I find myself missing it. Has any one tried to retrofit a trem unit? I know I can buy a different Albert Lee, but I just love everything about this one, haha. Some pics - I was testing a vintage Helios 44 lens, so there's some flair and vibe going on. :)

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

vexed73

I wouldn't put a kahler on a les paul been kicking myself ever since. I would just buy another with a trem and keep that one like it is. Find I am inspired with a guitar with no trem.

aaronstrumpel

You might be right. It'd be my only hard tail electric which would probably lead me down some new directions...

tbonesullivan

Probably easier to track down one that was made with a tremolo, though the MM90 versions are quite a bit harder to find. I definitely wouldn't try to fit a tremolo on that, especially with that awesome and rare finish.

TripHazard

That looks amazing!
Adding a trem is doable but would be a bit of work to do. My personal opinion is keep as is and get another one with a trem when it pops up for sale.

tbonesullivan

I mean, I can see why the hardtails don't get the same love they do... but I love them. In fact when I have a tremolo I often seem lost as to what to do with it. One of the early guitars Billy Gibbons used in the studio, along with the legendary Pearly Gates Les Paul, was a Hardtail Stratocaster.

aaronstrumpel

Probably easier to track down one that was made with a tremolo, though the MM90 versions are quite a bit harder to find. I definitely wouldn't try to fit a tremolo on that, especially with that awesome and rare finish.

That looks amazing!
Adding a trem is doable but would be a bit of work to do. My personal opinion is keep as is and get another one with a trem when it pops up for sale.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I'd hate to make it unoriginal - even if a pro does the job and keeps it clean...it's perfect the way it is and will be another flavor in the studio. For folks that need a hard tail. And for when I grow into it... :)

tbonesullivan

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I'd hate to make it unoriginal - even if a pro does the job and keeps it clean...it's perfect the way it is and will be another flavor in the studio. For folks that need a hard tail. And for when I grow into it... :)
Clapton definitely felt that it was a different sound. He never used the tremolo, and would block all of his. All of his signature models are the same way, when he could easily just make it a hard tail. Says the sound is different.

GWDavis28

Nice man, congrats, I have the exact same guitar and absolutely love it!!!!

CIMG0816.jpg

015004ae.jpg

Glenn |B)

aaronstrumpel

Nice man, congrats, I have the exact same guitar and absolutely love it!!!!

CIMG0816.jpg

015004ae.jpg

Glenn |B)

I love those white covers! Such a rad guitar...I've been more of a nitro-finish guitar guy, but with the finish these necks have, I'm blown away by the feel of this thing! Definitely made an exception in the finish department - helps that I'm also a sparkle finish kind of person!

aaronstrumpel

Let's see if this upload works - had to resize images to make them smaller:

Attachments

• IMG_4932_smaller.jpg
    IMG_4932_smaller.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4939_smaller.jpg
    IMG_4939_smaller.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4941_smaller.jpg
    IMG_4941_smaller.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4945_smaller.jpg
    IMG_4945_smaller.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4950_smaller.jpg
    IMG_4950_smaller.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 184

GWDavis28

I host on IMG BB and then link from there.

Nice neck you have there. Mine had black knobs and covers too, I set it back for warranty work and the tech took real good care of me and the guitar.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom