• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

henrixramos

I'm looking for a Music Man StingRay Bass and I've found a 1998 model that have a white headstock, but I've looked for another model of the same year and they doesn't have a "colored" head stock. Someone knows why some basses has that difference in your headstock? I don't have the serial number. Screen print attached. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 301
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 334

jones4tone

Some people like matching headstock and body finish, and some people like the natural wood color. EBMM instruments sometimes give the buyer a choice between the two options.

Daniel

I'm looking for a Music Man StingRay Bass and I've found a 1998 model that have a white headstock, but I've looked for another model of the same year and they doesn't have a "colored" head stock. Someone knows why some basses has that difference in your headstock? I don't have the serial number. Screen print attached. Thanks a lot!

Back in 1988 when these basses were made, having a matching headstock was an option when ordering the bass. We still do this on some of our BFR models. The Stingray Special BFR Dargie Delight was released last February and has a matching headstock along with several of our guitars.

tbonesullivan

It was an option at some points. Then guitars like the PDN runs, BFR runs, and other limited editions will have them.

five7

All the stealth models come with matching headstocks.

danny-79

My HH has a matching headstock and I didn’t think that was any kind of special run ?

(The Buttercreme also is matching but that’s the 2005 LE. )

They are both from the same era and do remember it being a yes/no option at that point in time on new orders

DrMatthewCross

Looking at the first picture, I'm not sure it's a matching headstock. When I received my SR Special with roasted maple and maple fingerboard, the headstock was identical to the one on the picture. The wood was the same but looked like two pieces glued together, one darker than the other.

jones4tone

The front of the headstock is definitely painted. Other than through-neck instruments, which generally are painted necks, only the front of the headstock is painted for a matching headstock. The division in the finish on the back is due to a clear finish being applied to the back of the headstock, while the back of the neck is an oil and wax finish.

tbonesullivan

Yeah, to clarify, ALL EBMM instruments have a painted headstock. It's just question of what type of paint job it has. The EBMM logo and other markings are silk-screened on, and then at least a satin clear coat is put over the headstock. On instruments with a matching painted headstock, the paint is usually a bit thicker, and may be gloss on the front and back. On my Luke III with a rosewood neck, the headstock is clear gloss front and back:

luke01.jpg

luke02.jpg

Golem

All the stealth models come with
matching headstocks.
Clear-gloss-over-natural models have
always had a matching headstock, at
no extra charge.

I swiped this fine pic from "The Low
End" bass shop site to illustrate what
I mean:

Bass MM natrl glossIMAG1823_0.jpg