• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dnr666

I am wondering if there were many of you out there who have enjoyed modding their Silhouettes. All three of mine are 24 fret 6 bolt early 80's models that I have paid less than £400 for. They are fantastic guitars. The TV Jones Pickups are Powertrons and are truly excellent both for clean sounds and with a fair bit of dirt. The Twin Humbuckers are House Of Tone Tru PAF and again are really excellent sounding. I have them wired for parallel or series, hence the mini switches. The other Silhouette has a House Of Tone P90 and a Tru PAF at the bridge. I also had the pickguards made for me by a local luthier and I was really pleased with how they turned out.

Attachments

• DSCN9163.jpg
    DSCN9163.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN9168.jpg
    DSCN9168.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN9169.jpg
    DSCN9169.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 162

GWDavis28

Nice that looks really great. Are you just buying red? Nice that you've got a local guy that'll do pick guards for you.

Glenn |B)

dnr666

Nice that looks really great. Are you just buying red? Nice that you've got a local guy that'll do pick guards for you.

Glenn |B)

Well I did have a white five bolt and a plain six bolt. But these were the one's that I loved to play. I have had them re-fretted with medium jumbo frets and they play perfectly for me. I will never part with them. However they look great in red. Weirdly there is a difference in hue for each of them. Alan Arnold is my guy for doing the pickguards and they have been beautifully done - much better than plastic.

dnr666

Splain? They aren't normal pick guard material?

Glenn |B)

I got my Luthier Alan to make plywood pickguard with either a birds eye maple or Tiger stripe maple laminate top. The birds eye were stained yellow and the tiger stripe red. I was actually getting quite frustrated because I could not find any ready made pick guards that I liked. Certainly not cut to suit the pickups I had in mind. Alan said that it would be easier to make them. I think they give the guitars a boutique appearance and the pickup combinations give the kind of sounds you might have to pay a lot for from some of those hi-end brands. Plus I almost feel that they are my own signature guitars

Theses guitars have seen action and could be described as real life relics. Used and abused you might say.

Top Bottom