• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

silverman

Part of thinks me thinks that backyard mods on such a beautiful instruments is crapping all over the wonderful design, and should be reserved for the squires, or MIMs of the world.

But I am by nature a curious person, and I do like to tinker.

So I wonder if anyone has attempted a coil tap on the HB cutlass, or a bridge+neck pickup button. I'd imagine the extra electronics in the cutlass would make it a bit more difficult.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Cutlass humbucker is not tappable (has only two conductors). Bridge + Neck can be done with a different 5-way switch or with a simple "humbucker add" switch. I'd like to do that in fact. I think there might be room in between the 5-way and the circuit board to squeeze one in. Perhaps just a little push-push button flush with the pickguard, if i can find one. I wouldn't attempt unsoldering the pots from the circuit board but a push-push pot would be a great way to do it.

dnr666

Most certainly I have enjoyed modding my Silhouettes.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/69193-modding-silhouettes.html

Admittedly they are older guitars, all being 6 bolt versions. I have ended up with guitars that suit the way I play. I was never one that liked the Dimarzio pickups that came as stock. I also old the view that a guitar is at the service of the player and not the other way around. You do what you want with it to make it work for you. It is rare that I have bought a guitar that I have not wanted to change in one way or another. I guess I am not that worried that my three Silhouettes are a little beaten up - character I would call it.

I admit that I would not do so much to my archtops, but solid guitars are a lot more pliable. The Silhouette was designed to be modular and replacing the pickguard with a ready made assembly is actually very easy and reversible. Which is what encouraged me from the beginning.

xjbebop

Hmmmm..... of course I have....

AQae5MK.jpg

Ez4P0EU.jpg

VLD83nT.jpg

MwpQ4kW.jpg

6UdNvCv.jpg

kYg6bGS.jpg

shovqb9.jpg

tg4CF0n.jpg

:D

dnr666

Nice xjbebop. You obviously have a thing about Albert Lee's. Did you re-fret them or did they come with medium Jumbos. I can't recall as it has been a while since I played one. I was never keen on the smaller frets on the original Silhouettes.

Last edited:

danny-79

I’ve modded a couple of my StingRay’s one through necessity and one cause I liked the first one so much I wasn’t playing the other!
All original parts are safely under lock and key so it can be put back to original in a flash.
(Then your left with after market parts to sell separately)

tbonesullivan

A coil tap should not cause that much of an issue, as long as it is a 4 conductor pickup. Then you would just need to install a mini switch somewhere to short the spliced wires to ground.

The "Bridge On" switch also would be something relatively simple.

The only issues I can see is that the silent system probably isn't engaged in the bridge-only position, so you'll get hum.

For me personally, unless a pickup is really designed for coil splitting, I have always found the performance and sound to be lack luster.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
The only issues I can see is that the silent system probably isn't engaged in the bridge-only position, so you'll get hum.

Unlike the older silent circuit, there is no defeat wired to the selector switch positions (this a simple switch, whereas the silo special required a 4-pole 5-way super switch), which says to me that always on at whetever level we have set on the trim pots (which seems to be zero-to-max type).

But I also suspect backwards-compatibility with older silent-circuit instruments and I think there is a way to selectively defeat it when required. :cool: One day I'll test, and then sell you all the information at exorbitant rates. :)

xjbebop

Silverman - "Which A. Lee is your fave?"

...all of them....;)

but, the black MM90 and the turquoise blue w/ white pups are tied for the #1 'makes me happy' spot

Top Bottom