• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre36

Hi,

Do you have any advice? It's hard to find an electric guitar where I live and so it doesn't have much information for me (all are non-electric guitar). So that's why I came here to ask my questions. My budget is about $ 400-500

Thanks!

GWDavis28

Hi,

Do you have any advice? It's hard to find an electric guitar where I live and so it doesn't have much information for me (all are non-electric guitar). So that's why I came here to ask my questions. My budget is about $ 400-500

Thanks!

Where do you live? What type of players do you like?

Glenn |B)

Fro

You should take a trip to where you can get your hands on a few different models. Your looking at foreign made if buying new or if your patient you can find a USA Strat in your price range.

nervous

Yeah, there really are a lot of quality import instruments available in your price range. Maybe not the sexiest but you never know. I have done well with Mexican Teles in that range. As good as anything and an easy playing, versatile guitar. As a beginner it is going to be hard to know what you like and need so don't overspend.

LordRiffenstein

I recently bought a Schecter reaper and the quality is remarkable given the price point. Depends a lot on what type of music you want to play but if you are ok with the used market you can get a hell of a guitar for $500. Even if you want to buy one new there are tons of great options now at that price, squire, LTD, Ibanez, Schecter to name a few.

There are some sterling options in that range too.

nervous

I’ll add this thought too. Try to find something that makes you want to pick it up. I know some will say appearance does not matter but I’d argue it does. And there a million amazing looking guitars to prove the point. These are highly interactive and inspiring tools at every level, perhaps no time more important than when you’re starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LordRiffenstein

I’ll add this thought too. Try to find something that makes you want to pick it up. I know some will say appearance does not matter but I’d argue it does. And there a million amazing looking guitars to prove the point. These are highly interactive and inspiring tools at every level, perhaps no time more important than when you’re starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so true. It's kind of like plating at a restaurant, you eat with your eyes first. Looks may not be the most important thing, but its definitely important.

jones4tone

It is amazing what you can get for not much money. I bought a guitar today for $179, new. I wanted a guitar that I was comfortable leaving in the back of a vehicle in a gig bag in the S. Texas summer, and I wouldn't be too upset if it got stolen or damaged by the heat of a locked-up vehicle. (None of my EBMMs are anywhere near being in that category - they are all way too nice to consider subjecting to that.) It's a Squier t-style. It has flaws, for sure, but the neck is unfinished, the frets are dressed well enough that it's comfortable to play, the action is not bad, and it was a solid value at that price. It's just the family road-trip guitar now. You can get a very serviceable guitar in that $400-500 range you mentioned. And I agree that you should look until you find the guitar that has the combination of look and feel that make you want to pick it up and play every day. Have fun!

ScottYecora

Try to find something that makes you want to pick it up.

Exactly. And for me, more important than the look, it was a neck that felt comfortable in my hand and a decent sound.

I started on a Stratocaster, but the second hand Squier I bought some years to have a guitar to practice while the kids are around would have worked too.

It obviously does not compare to my EBMM guitars, but I still use it regularly when I am with my kids.

BrickGlass

In that price range some of the Sterling models like the Cutlass or the Axis are excellent quality.

gurtejsingh

First of all, welcome to the forum! As many have pointed out, there is a lot to consider before choosing your first guitar. Of course your taste in music being the first. Depends on what you listen to, which will drive what you want to play eventually on guitar.

My philosophy of buying the first guitar is that it should be fairly economic in price, and with that said, you may get a guitar which may have imperfections. Which is what happened to me. My first guitar was very very inexpensive and it had serious intonation problems, and it was an acoustic. But I still learnt on that. It was difficult, but here's the best part, it made me realise the value of a good instrument, and I longed for one. I had a friend who had a JEM, but he barely played it, and I would have given the world to have it. Now I am not recommending that you go and buy a faulty guitar, all I am saying is buy something in the lower price register (maybe a GRG Ibanez, squier, schecter, etc.), and learn on it. Hope you understand what I mean...

And of course, if you know how to play, go into a store and connect with the instrument. You will know which one you want!

Hope this helps!

beej

Yeah, that first post feels a little spammy to me. I think this has probably run its course. Not to mention that it's mostly non-MM discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom