• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JC225

Hey everybody,

I recentIy switched string size and wanted to ask how many springs are you guys running on your tremolo? I originally had a set of 10's and only two springs but when I picked up my guitar from the shop they were replaced with 9's and a third spring was added. The strings feel great but that third spring on the the tremolo has made it quite a bit stiffer.

Can I drop back down to two springs without any major issues? Just wandered how many springs you guys are using especially with a set of 9's.

I appreciate the insight.

Fro

If you used two springs with 10s, you most certainly can use two springs with 9s.

Fro

I’m guessing that your trem is decked? If it was set floating the tension should decrease regardless of two or three springs if set up right.

JC225

Hey Catcher,

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. The tremolo does sit on the body and dives only. Does the angle of the springs make a difference? If I take it back down to the two springs and angle them wider at the bottom and bring them together on the claw does that change things at all?

Thanks

beej

With 9s, 2 springs is fine. Yes, angle them to get a bit more tension out of them, and adjust the claw as needed to get the level right.

Daniel

Hey everybody,

I recentIy switched string size and wanted to ask how many springs are you guys running on your tremolo? I originally had a set of 10's and only two springs but when I picked up my guitar from the shop they were replaced with 9's and a third spring was added. The strings feel great but that third spring on the the tremolo has made it quite a bit stiffer.

Can I drop back down to two springs without any major issues? Just wandered how many springs you guys are using especially with a set of 9's.

I appreciate the insight.

Ernie Ball Music Man guitars come with 3 springs if the guitar is using Regular 10-46 gauge strings, and 2 springs for a 9-42 gauge set. Our Cutlass RS uses a Hybrid set of 9-46 gauge and uses 3 springs. Depending on your guitar setup and how you like to utilize your tremolo you can use either 2 or 3 springs for your guitar setup, it's entirely up to you. I do recommend angling your springs towards the center of the trem claw if your going to run 2 springs and then adjust your trem claw to get the tension you need to keep the bridge from floating.

JC225

Hey Daniel,

Thank you very much for the information. I'll drop it back down to the two springs, install them angled as you instructed and adjust the claw from there. I just don't care for the amount of tension and feel of the three springs and really appreciate the insight.

JC225

Hey everybody,

After adjusting the claw screws to accommodate the two springs, how far should the claw be sitting away from the body? I don't think it would really matter even if the claw was right up against the body but I just wanted to be sure and see what you guys thought.

Thanks.

Fro

I tighten down the claw until the trem is just sitting on the body. Then another half turn or so on the screwdriver till the tension feels right.

Top Bottom