• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Astrofreq

Has anyone sanded off the lacquer off the neck on a Stingray? I’m leaning heavily toward doing this, but wanted to see if anyone else had. Thanks

danny-79

Has anyone sanded off the lacquer off the neck on a Stingray? I’m leaning heavily toward doing this, but wanted to see if anyone else had. Thanks

Not on a stingray but I have done it to my 7ender Jazz. It had a thick polyurethane lacquer that I just couldn’t get on with so even though it looked nice it had to go.
Oil & wax for me on all my basses and guitars.

It’s not the nicest of jobs to do depending on what the lacquer is (I’m suspecting poly so chemicals won’t work) . Sanding it off is messy and time consuming (and comes with complications) my chosen approach is to warm it up in short bursts with a heat gun and peel it off, then finish with fine paper, wire wool etc

tbonesullivan

So you got a BFR stingray, and are gonna sand the neck? Just use some scotch brite and make it more 'satin' feeling.

danny-79

So you got a BFR stingray, and are gonna sand the neck? Just use some scotch brite and make it more 'satin' feeling.

I totally overlooked the BFR part. My j is plain maple so got away with it to an extent. If it’s flame/birds eye etc the lacquer is pretty important to the finish

But the Scotch Bright sounds like a perfect solution, I’m going to try that. Only got one painted neck that can’t and won’t oil and wax.
I’ll let you know how I get on

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

I should mention, the "scotch brite" method is one I heard first over at the Carvin forum, and then also Greg at BCR music does the same thing. It's far less work, and most importantly doesn't involve major alterations.

BFR instruments often have binding, which is probably why it is finished. EBMM necks that are bound always get a finish, as the oil/wax blend really doesn't work well with binding.

danny-79

Just how is it reversible?

As you play the guitar, as with a satin finish, you gradually "buff out" the satin finish and it almost becomes gloss.

Exactly that, the scotch pad has just taken the shine off it. As you play it it will inevitably shine its self back up and need redoing after a period of time.
Or if you don’t like it, it will soon polish back up to how it was before
View attachment 35575

Last edited:

Astrofreq

Total night and day difference after taking a Scotch Brite pad to the neck. Anybody on the fence should do it. My guitar feels so much better now.

Top Bottom