• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bobxrock

Hi, within the last 2 months I bought 2 new Cutlass HSS models, and they both came with the same problem, the EAD strings ring fine, but the G, B, and high E strings buzz all the way up the neck, with regular finger pressure, no bending. The radius of the string saddle heights looks about right, and the action is a little low, but if I tweak it up, the low strings will may go too high.

Any possible solutions? Does this call for raising the trem on the high side? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bob

silverman

Hi, within the last 2 months I bought 2 new Cutlass HSS models, and they both came with the same problem, the EAD strings ring fine, but the G, B, and high E strings buzz all the way up the neck, with regular finger pressure, no bending. The radius of the string saddle heights looks about right, and the action is a little low, but if I tweak it up, the low strings will may go too high.

Any possible solutions? Does this call for raising the trem on the high side? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bob

Not to sound patronizing, but these issues sound like they would be solved with a simple setup. Are you familiar with how to setup an S style guitar?

bobxrock

I can fix it by adjusting the saddle height on those 3 strings, but that ruins the string saddle radius, which is supposedly part of a good setup. I've setup my S style guitars but I've never run into an S Style with this particular problem ACROSS the neck. I appreciate the response but If it's a simple answer then I would love to hear from someone with a simple suggestion as to the cause so I can move on to playing the damn thing.

beej

The first thing to do is check the relief - that's what's most likely changed, with a change in humidity. You shouldn't need to touch the saddles, if they were set correctly.

Fret the first fret with your left hand, and the 15th or 17th with the pinky of your right hand. Then the string becomes a straight edge. Look at the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7-9th frets. You should have a little gap in there, about a business card's thickness. (You can tell by lightly tapping the string with the thumb of your right hand while you're still pressing down with your little finger.)

Odds are you need a little relief. Take a small screwdriver, allen key, whatever, and turn the truss rod counterclockwise a 1/4 turn. Then pull the neck forward to encourage the shift. Play it again. Repeat as necessary until you get a little gap and the buzzing goes away.

Daniel

Bob

Hi bobxrock,
Are you hearing the buzzing coming through the amplifier, or is this just when played acoustically?

bobxrock

That's always tough to say, but I would say I can tell even through the amp. The only way to stop it for sure it to raise the 3 saddles a good bit, but that really messes with the idea of the saddles matching the fretboard radius. That's why I was asking about possibly raising the tremolo post screw on the high side, but I don't know if that's a good idea either.

Fro

I would first adjust the relief, then make the needed adjustments on the action. I doubt you would notice if the 3 saddles were raised a smidge.

Top Bottom