• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Astrofreq

Here’s a fun video we made yesterday at work. I think I would marry my Cutlass if it were possible somehow. Haha

banjoplayer

very cool!!!

although volume does not seem to be very high as I can hear your strings:)
the people in the background are not impressed the same amount as am I....

Did you change your middle and neck pickup?

Last edited:

Astrofreq

very cool!!!

although volume does not seem to be very high as I can hear your strings:)
the people in the background are not impressed the same amount as am I....

Did you change your middle and neck pickup?

stock everything. Just raised pickup heights. I perform for 4-6 hours at a time, so there are always new people coming into the space and checking it out. I probably see 1000+ people per shift and a bunch ask me about my guitar every hour. :)

The mains are behind the guy filming. It was much louder than it seems in the video.

Last edited:

nervous

I perform for 4-6 hours at a time, so there are always new people coming into the space and checking it out. I probably see 1000+ people per shift.
How interesting. This intrigues the h*ll out of me and generates so many questions. Genuinely curious since I read this. Do you play the full 4-6 hours? How many days a week? Do you ever struggle for ideas to keep things going? Do you ever get bored or find it difficult to get motivated? Do your hands and fingers hurt? What do you use for an amp or modeler? And you play in other projects outside this job I assume? Just thinking just how much time that really is with a guitar in your hands and what an important tool that becomes in that situation.

Astrofreq

How interesting. This intrigues the h*ll out of me and generates so many questions. Genuinely curious since I read this. Do you play the full 4-6 hours? How many days a week? Do you ever struggle for ideas to keep things going? Do you ever get bored or find it difficult to get motivated? Do your hands and fingers hurt? What do you use for an amp or modeler? And you play in other projects outside this job I assume? Just thinking just how much time that really is with a guitar in your hands and what an important tool that becomes in that situation.

It’s really a dream gig. Performing for literally a thousand or more people coming in and out daily. On the weekends, even more.

Lately, I’ve been performing six days a week and DJ’ing 2/3 of that time. I use the term “DJ” very loosely as I’m not spinning tracks. I generate beats in Logic and just play over them with all sorts of electronic instruments. Sometimes I just make crazy sci-fi sounds and just fill the room up with insane soundscapes. All performed live and made up on the spot.

Yes, I perform the full time. Maybe 15 minute break to get a quick bite or something. The longest I went was 7 hours. It sounds long, but once you get into a good flow, time flies. Plus, it’s a blast. Lots of coffee involved. With new guests coming into the venue constantly, it’s always new for them, even if I have used the underlying beats time and time again. E interaction with the people is where the excitement lies.

On days where I take a guitar (which is most days), I use it a ton. I’m always motivated to create new sounds with the gear and my boredom is only related to my current lack of spare time to create new beats. I’m off for two weeks after this weekend and plan to create a giant palette of new things to play over.

Fingers and hands never hurt, but my feet do from dancing with kids and guests for hours on end. :)

My guitar goes straight into a Empress Zoia, into my mixer and straight into the board. It keeps things easy amongst the dozen other synth-type instruments/noise-makers I have going on as well. I also use the Zoia sequencer a bunch to provide beats and weird sequencing. That thing is amazing. My Theremin is always hooked up and I constantly use it as well.

I am in various other projects, but solo gigs have been more gratifying this year. I’m hoping to find a new bassist and drummer for my band soon. I write music for short films and such several times a year too. I perform and compose for projects enough to thankfully support myself, which brings me great joy to say, especially since I essentially write/play anything I want.

Here's what the DJ rig looks like.

dj.jpeg

Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom