• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

njhammer

So I picked up a SRS5 a while back. Love the neck and like that it's lighter but haven't been convinced. Gigged it a couple of times (rock covers) and it just doesn't seem to cut through like my other Stingrays.

Yesterday, I bought a multimeter to check the output before I roll over and take it to my tech. Never done it before but it looks to me like I'm only getting 1.0 ohm when I check the output from the jack and that seems low compared to what I've read.

Any thoughts before I take it over to Frank and give him my hard-earned $? I'd really like to love this one like I love the rest.

Thanks in advance boys and girls....

Samoht

I don't know about the multimeter reading, but since it's new, has it been thoroughly setup/dialed in? The pickup height and saddle height, if off by a bit, can lower the output by a considerable amount. The pickup height in particular seems to be neglected in several bass setup videos I've seen, but can make a huge difference. Not sure if this helps, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Daniel

So I picked up a SRS5 a while back. Love the neck and like that it's lighter but haven't been convinced. Gigged it a couple of times (rock covers) and it just doesn't seem to cut through like my other Stingrays.

Yesterday, I bought a multimeter to check the output before I roll over and take it to my tech. Never done it before but it looks to me like I'm only getting 1.0 ohm when I check the output from the jack and that seems low compared to what I've read.

Any thoughts before I take it over to Frank and give him my hard-earned $? I'd really like to love this one like I love the rest.

Thanks in advance boys and girls....

Hi there,
If your checking the Ohm reading without it plugged in, you're basically getting the reading from the capacitors on the board, which are about 1ohm. In order to get a reading you'll have to plug the bass in, as the input jack acts as a switch.
From there you can take a reading at the battery terminals to see if you're getting 18 volts and at the output jack. In order to get an accurate ohm reading on the pickup, you would have to unsolder the pickup from the board and take a reading. If you need assistance feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll help you out.

njhammer

I don't know about the multimeter reading, but since it's new, has it been thoroughly setup/dialed in? The pickup height and saddle height, if off by a bit, can lower the output by a considerable amount. The pickup height in particular seems to be neglected in several bass setup videos I've seen, but can make a huge difference. Not sure if this helps, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks Samoht - I picked it up used and have thoroughly set up pickup height, saddles, intonation, etc. Still getting the problem.

mouth

Is it the low output problem compared to your other Stingrays, or is it the voicing problem? Specials are known as a more tame version of the older Stingrays, not as aggressive tonally. Might just not be what you want in a rock setting? You just might prefer the older, more aggressive tone.

Samoht

How does the output compare to your SR5 Dargie? I believe, based on the production date of 2/28/07, that it would have ceramic pickups. And is it pure output that's missing, or just a missing frequency range that you're used to? Pertybass on youtube has an awesome comparison between his 1995 Stingray and his new Stingray5 Special:
I do hear a little less top end, but I wouldn't think it would make a drastic difference, and should be able to be compensated for with the onboard preamp.

njhammer

Is it the low output problem compared to your other Stingrays, or is it the voicing problem? Specials are known as a more tame version of the older Stingrays, not as aggressive tonally. Might just not be what you want in a rock setting? You just might prefer the older, more aggressive tone.

Might be the voicing but I need to make sure it's not the output first. Worst case, you're right and I might just have to swap it out for another older SR!

njhammer

How does the output compare to your SR5 Dargie? I believe, based on the production date of 2/28/07, that it would have ceramic pickups. And is it pure output that's missing, or just a missing frequency range that you're used to? Pertybass on youtube has an awesome comparison between his 1995 Stingray and his new Stingray5 Special:
I do hear a little less top end, but I wouldn't think it would make a drastic difference, and should be able to be compensated for with the onboard preamp.

I have adjusted the preamp in both studio and live settings and haven't been happy with the results. Going to determine if the issue is with the output first.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Hmm, I would think with the 18V power supply, it should be able to get louder than the other Stingrays you have.

Though, voicing does count a lot. My SR5 Ceramic "sounds" louder than my Alnico SR5.

njhammer

Well, good news... the bass if perfect and I'm the problem. Just not used to the new voicing, so I'm trying a few things like Cobalt strings and eq/compression for live work.

Work in progress.

Top Bottom