• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LesPaul

Will EB Fretboard conditioner darken a rosewood fretboard over time?

Thanks

Jon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LesPaul

Just a follow up on this. I used an EB FB conditioner wipe on my 2019 LP Std this past Sunday. The rosewood board was on the light side to my eyes. After treatment, it does appear somewhat darker, which was actually what I was hoping for. Although this may only be because the guitar had been sitting in a GC showroom for quite some time.

Last night I used the FB conditioner on my Cutlass rosewood board and noticed the same thing. I don't know if this will be a cumulative effect or not. I have heard of some products that claim to do this (Fret Doctor), but I figured I'd see what the EB product did. I prefer a darker look for my rosewood boards. I like them to look more like ebony.

tbonesullivan

Usually conditioners will slightly darken the wood for a bit. Even "lemon oil" will, as it fills in some of the pores, kind of like the wood getting wet. It will fade over time as the oil wears off and/or evaporates.

Also, over time, the oils and dirt from your hands will get into the grain, so the color usually will darken somewhat with lots of playing.

spychocyco

If the fretboard is dry, it will definitely make it appear darker once you hydrate it. As far as long-term darkening, I doubt it. At least I haven't seen that on my guitars.

Daniel

If your fretboard is starting to lighten, that usually means that it is drying out and you want to condition it. Regular cleaning and maintenance is best way to keep your neck/fretboard in great shape. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes are safe for you guitar's fretboard.

LesPaul

Thank you for the replies. My LP fretboard now looks and feels mich better after using the Wonder Wipes. That fretboard definitely needed it. The Cutlass didn't feel or look all that dry, but I did it anyway since I haven't done it since I acquired it.

How often do folks here typically condition your fretboards?

Daniel

Thank you for the replies. My LP fretboard now looks and feels mich better after using the Wonder Wipes. That fretboard definitely needed it. The Cutlass didn't feel or look all that dry, but I did it anyway since I haven't done it since I acquired it.

How often do folks here typically condition your fretboards?

Hi there,
Its a good idea to thoroughly clean the fretboard every time you change your strings. You should use the fretboard conditioner whenever it's starting to look dry, or at least every change in the seasons. If your Cutlass is an RS model with an unfinished neck, you will want to condition the neck once a year as well. If you need in instructions on how to condition the neck, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll help you out.

Top Bottom