• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Phrankenstrat

I've had the LIII HSS for over a year now. It took over as my #1 go to guitar since the day I got it (usurping my Suhr). Gigged all last week and then on Saturday night, I had intermittent connection. Thought it might be my Headrush Pedalboard. Played a gig with several different bands on Sunday and then the same thing. Now first, I didn't think it was my guitar but the HR. A friend of mine quickly came in with his Deluxe Reverb and pedalboard so I plugged into that. No signal. Changed cables, no signal. Put in new battery, no signal. Plugged his guitar in and all was good. Anyone have any idea of why this guitar would do that? Bad preamp? Everything looks good inside, pristine actually. Seriously bummed about this situation.

beej

I'd check the terminals in the battery box to make sure they make contact. If you push the battery in a bit more, does it do anything? If that's the case you can pry them back a bit.

Beyond that, I would contact MM customer service quickly and get their help. Email Daniel - [email protected], or call the number in my signature.

Hopefully it's something simple.

tbonesullivan

Have you changed cables recently? The output jack for the guitar also serves as a switch to turn on/off the electronics. Some 1/4 cable ends are really large, their recipe for "better connection", but this can end up bending the contacts inside. Then when you put a regular 1/4 inch plug in, it doesn't push in far enough to turn on the electronics.

With most guitars, you could just bend things back into place, but the Luke uses a sealed barrel jack, so the only option is replacement.

BrickGlass

Battery connection has been known to be an issue from time to time with some MM axes. I had this issue and just stuffed a piece of fabric at the tail end of the battery to push it against the connection tighter and it solved the problem.

Vadauco

Battery connection has been known to be an issue from time to time with some MM axes. I had this issue and just stuffed a piece of fabric at the tail end of the battery to push it against the connection tighter and it solved the problem.

Do you mind to post a picture of that?

tbonesullivan

That's true. The battery boxes that everyone uses really work best with Duracell batteries and ones of a similar size. Seems really annoying that there is no length specification for 9V batteries, but they were originally designed to use those annoying press-fit connectors, not a box.

mikeller

Or a small piece of foam rubber might help too if that is the problem.

ksandvik

Thanks I've been struggling with a similar issue with my Luke II (no 1 guitar) for 1.5 years now. Sound goes ways suddenly during a gig - whacking quickly the volume knob helps. Oddly nothing like that happened last night, so used to hit the volume knob, such as in the middle of a solo, 1-2 times each gig. I will stuff in the battery better to see if this mysterious error disappears.

Top Bottom