• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Lukasz9511

Hey. I have a question. Does the joint between the neck and the head look original or processed?

Attachments

• 20190826_183007.jpg
    20190826_183007.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190823_120251.jpg
    20190823_120251.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190823_120959.jpg
    20190823_120959.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20190513_134203.jpg
    IMG_20190513_134203.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 119

Rod Trussbroken

You're referring to the line on the rear of the neck at the top? If so, it appears ok to me. The rear length of the of the neck is finished with gunstock oil and wax (and not polyester). From the line, the headstock (front and rear) is finished with polyester. The line marks where the finishes change.

mouth

It's not a joint, it's a different type of finish on the headstock (satin poly) VS the oil&wax finish on the back of the neck.

Sometimes I'm really baffled by the things people ask and don't properly research...

DrMatthewCross

I usually see a perfect line, this one seems a little bit wavy but it's not a joint, like other said. Just a different finish.

tbonesullivan

The line is probably "wavy" due to cleaning over the years, which may have worn off the polyurethane at that point. Also the oil can seep under the poly slowly giving that effect. As it doesn't have a compensated nut, the bass is probably 10+ years old, so it's had plenty of time for this to happen.

But as others have pointed out, that is completely normal.

danny-79

The line is probably "wavy" due to cleaning over the years, which may have worn off the polyurethane at that point. Also the oil can seep under the poly slowly giving that effect. As it doesn't have a compensated nut, the bass is probably 10+ years old, so it's had plenty of time for this to happen.

But as others have pointed out, that is completely normal.

I’d of never thought that the oil would seep under the lacquer, I’d of put the wavy line down to playing/cleaning. Less is definitely more with the oil and wax.

mouth

I’d of never thought that the oil would seep under the lacquer, I’d of put the wavy line down to playing/cleaning. Less is definitely more with the oil and wax.

Meh, depends on how you define "less is more". I've put 8 coats of Tru Oil on 2 of my Stingrays, finished off with 2 coats of Gunstock Wax. Necks are now sealed with Tru Oil, feel great and have more protection from dirt and weather changes. I'll probably never have to do any touch ups with Tru Oil on these necks ever again. I'll just buff em with some Wax yearly, and clean them with damp rags. Just like if they were lacquered (well, Tru Oil is a varnish in fact).

tbonesullivan

depends on how much oil they used, how much they sweated, etc. There's a lot involved. Also it could be from sanding down the neck during cleaning. You can see a ghost of the original finish line.

danny-79

depends on how much oil they used, how much they sweated, etc. There's a lot involved. Also it could be from sanding down the neck during cleaning. You can see a ghost of the original finish line.

It’s always, unpredictable for lack of a better word how a guitar neck is going to react to anything, even lemon oil. I’ve seen a few disasters with that and people leaving it to soak into the wood for hours then asking why are the frets lifting and popping out ?
Wipe on, wipe off. It’s only got to repel hand sweat.

Top Bottom