• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

welshlukather

Hi All,

A newb to this site, but played EBMM's for many many years - currently using a pair of LIII's and an Axis.

I have just acquired a HSS LIII with a Roasted Maple neck as a brother to my #1 Olive Gold RW necked LIII - what I have noticed is the neck profiles are different - the OG has a much chunkier neck than the newer roasted one - is this normal?

beej

The necks are cut by CNC machines, but they are all hand-sanded, which often accounts for the difference in feel. I've found necks can feel larger or smaller, though the measurements look similar.

welshlukather

The necks are cut by CNC machines, but they are all hand-sanded, which often accounts for the difference in feel. I've found necks can feel larger or smaller, though the measurements look similar.

Thanks @beej

I wonder if its the frets actually, the RW feel and look a lot narrower - this LIII was a very very early one too - probably one of the 1st in the UK.

beej

Frets would make a big difference, for sure.

Does it bother you? You could always sand one down a little.

spychocyco

Could be the frets. Seemingly little things can make a noticeable difference. For example, the bound neck on my BFR feels slightly larger to me than the unbound neck on my standard Axis. I've never been able to decide if it actually is or if it's just my imagination, though. :D

Daniel

Hi All,

A newb to this site, but played EBMM's for many many years - currently using a pair of LIII's and an Axis.

I have just acquired a HSS LIII with a Roasted Maple neck as a brother to my #1 Olive Gold RW necked LIII - what I have noticed is the neck profiles are different - the OG has a much chunkier neck than the newer roasted one - is this normal?

From the factory, there is no difference in the neck profile between the roasted maple and the rosewood necks. If someone changed the frets, aftermarket, or the frets have been filed down that would make a different in the feel of the neck.

Daniel

Could be the frets. Seemingly little things can make a noticeable difference. For example, the bound neck on my BFR feels slightly larger to me than the unbound neck on my standard Axis. I've never been able to decide if it actually is or if it's just my imagination, though. :D

Our bound neck start as the same size in the factory, but are sanded differently to accommodate for the binding. The difference in size is very little, but there is a small difference.

welshlukather

From the factory, there is no difference in the neck profile between the roasted maple and the rosewood necks. If someone changed the frets, aftermarket, or the frets have been filed down that would make a different in the feel of the neck.

I bought the OG brand new - its probably just a feel thing - I love both

I was hoping you were going to say - its a very very rare piece you have there :)

mikeller

I have a 2012 olive gold rosewood neck model I purchased new and is in its original condition. I also have a 2013 L3 HSS and a 2017 L3 HH BFR. I can say my rosewood OG neck feels bigger and is less pronounced on the V shape

Top Bottom