• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Shetafok

Hi, it's me again.

It's been a long journey to me in this path of deciding which Ernie Ball Music Man guitar I should invest my money.

At last, I got two options (brand new).

A JP7 in Mystic Dream finish and Majesty 2019 in Dark Roast finish.

The second one is $ 650 more expensive than the first one.

I want to understand how the Custom Music Man Preamp works and how could this be a pro over the JP7. I would also love to hear how much difference is between tone, feel, playability, etc.

Which one of the two should I buy? Thanks for the help!

LordRiffenstein

I have a JP 6 and Majesty 2019 in Sunrise Red, not 7 strings but am guessing is still applicable. The main advantages for me with the preamp is that it allows for longer cable runs with no tone loss and the boost feature. I can't quantify or qualify the "lack of tone loss" but can assure you the 2019 Majesty sounds fantastic and plenty of pleasing high end. The boost is very noticeable and a great feature for getting extra push without needing to be by your pedal board.

Tone wise, to me the Majesty sounds to have a little more high end and certainly more mids, perhaps tighter bass but to me they sound in the ball park of each other. Having the coil tap option on the tone control makes the Majesty a little more versatile in theory but to be honest if you have a chance to play both of them that'd be the best course.

Sonically I think they can achieve similar things but feelwise are fairly different. The forearm scoop takes some time to adjust to whereas I find the forearm angle of the Majesty to be very comfortable. The raw maple vs a finished neck is another big feel difference. I feel the profiles are close enough to not be a plus or minus for either one but the Majesty is a little thicker.

Shetafok

I have a JP 6 and Majesty 2019 in Sunrise Red, not 7 strings but am guessing is still applicable. The main advantages for me with the preamp is that it allows for longer cable runs with no tone loss and the boost feature. I can't quantify or qualify the "lack of tone loss" but can assure you the 2019 Majesty sounds fantastic and plenty of pleasing high end. The boost is very noticeable and a great feature for getting extra push without needing to be by your pedal board.

Tone wise, to me the Majesty sounds to have a little more high end and certainly more mids, perhaps tighter bass but to me they sound in the ball park of each other. Having the coil tap option on the tone control makes the Majesty a little more versatile in theory but to be honest if you have a chance to play both of them that'd be the best course.

Sonically I think they can achieve similar things but feelwise are fairly different. The forearm scoop takes some time to adjust to whereas I find the forearm angle of the Majesty to be very comfortable. The raw maple vs a finished neck is another big feel difference. I feel the profiles are close enough to not be a plus or minus for either one but the Majesty is a little thicker.

Interesting review. And how about the Piezo? Which one do you like how it sounds more?

And I've played a Majesty Monarchy 6 and it is indeed really comfortable! I've never played a JP6 or JP7 though. By seen the demos I think the JP7 sounds more solid on Piezo mode.

Daniel

Hi, it's me again.

It's been a long journey to me in this path of deciding which Ernie Ball Music Man guitar I should invest my money.

At last, I got two options (brand new).

The second one is $ 650 more expensive than the first one.

I want to understand how the Custom Music Man Preamp works and how could this be a pro over the JP7. I would also love to hear how much difference is between tone, feel, playability, etc.

Which one of the two should I buy? Thanks for the help!

Hi Shetafok,
The Majesty preamp is in a big step up from the JP7. The preamp in the JP7 will control the piezo side of the guitar and the active preamp of the mags. Where the Majesty, gives you a 20db boost, coil split in the middle position and a more active switching system. The preamp in the Majesty is designed so that switching is nearly instant.

Shetafok

Thanks for the help! This is very informative!
Since you work for Ernie Ball Music Man, which of the 7 string guitar that are now on production is the cheapest of the John Petrucci Models? Just curious..

Cheers!

Vadauco

I know the Majesty-6 and the JP6, so my opinion is based on these.

I want to understand how the Custom Music Man Preamp works and how could this be a pro over the JP7.

The active preamp buffers the signal before it goes to the amp, it's a bit like giving it a little "push". Unlike active pickups, which do amplify output, the JP preamp only "levels" the signal, so the higher frequencies are not lost when travelling through long cables.

I can talk about two pros: (1) it allows fancy electronic circuits to be added, like the 20dB boost and the piezo (in the JP6, the piezo also has a preamp); and (2) is that the tone doesn't become muffled with long cables, and to my ears there's more high-end in the tone (some people say it's the same, but I do hear).

I also talk 2 cons: (1) is that you need batteries 100% of the time: if the batteries die, the guitar is dead; and (2) is that the electronics are far more complex than an ordinary guitar, and all proprietary, Music Man is the only who truly knows how they work.

I would also love to hear how much difference is between tone, feel, playability, etc.

The most noticeable difference to me is that the Majesty neck is wider than the JP6, and it has a flatter fretboard. This makes the JP6 feel more "Strat", and the Majesty feel more "Ibanez". The Majesty is lighter and more ergonomic, with the body shape reminding me of the Ibanez S series when playing stand. Majesty playability is better, but that's just my opinion, I've seen people who felt it "weird".

People love to talk about Majesty upper fret access, but the JP6 is already pretty good in this aspect, so to me it's a minor thing, although noticeable. The short lower horn of the Majesty can give you a "where's the guitar?" sensation, like the neck is free floating in the air.

To my ears, high gain tones sound better with the JP6: the Crunch Lab + LiquiFire combo on the JP6 is absolutely massive. Clean tones sound better with the Majesty, they're more "sparkly". Piezo sounds about the same on both. However, keep in mind that it's all splitting hairs: the tones in JP6 and Majesty are quite similar, that "John Petrucci" signature tone.

Which one of the two should I buy?

I won't answer this one. Collect opinions and test both, then make the choice. Don't go crazy about it, you can always sell one and buy the other in the future.

Daniel

Thanks for the help! This is very informative!
Since you work for Ernie Ball Music Man, which of the 7 string guitar that are now on production is the cheapest of the John Petrucci Models? Just curious..

Cheers!

The JP7 is the lowest priced Petrucci seven-string model. You can find all our available models on our website here: John Petrucci 6 | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

LordRiffenstein

They're both fantastic guitars and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They are my favorite playing and sounding guitars in my collection. The forearm scoop is a little odd but I do like it. They're both quite comfortable and I think in a way have improved my technique by improving my posture while playing.

Shetafok

They're both fantastic guitars and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They are my favorite playing and sounding guitars in my collection. The forearm scoop is a little odd but I do like it. They're both quite comfortable and I think in a way have improved my technique by improving my posture while playing.

Yeah!! I played a Majesty Monarchy a few days ago and the feel it has it's simply amazing!!! It makes my playing really comfortable and easy!!

Shetafok

I know the Majesty-6 and the JP6, so my opinion is based on these.

The active preamp buffers the signal before it goes to the amp, it's a bit like giving it a little "push". Unlike active pickups, which do amplify output, the JP preamp only "levels" the signal, so the higher frequencies are not lost when travelling through long cables.

I can talk about two pros: (1) it allows fancy electronic circuits to be added, like the 20dB boost and the piezo (in the JP6, the piezo also has a preamp); and (2) is that the tone doesn't become muffled with long cables, and to my ears there's more high-end in the tone (some people say it's the same, but I do hear).

I also talk 2 cons: (1) is that you need batteries 100% of the time: if the batteries die, the guitar is dead; and (2) is that the electronics are far more complex than an ordinary guitar, and all proprietary, Music Man is the only who truly knows how they work.

The most noticeable difference to me is that the Majesty neck is wider than the JP6, and it has a flatter fretboard. This makes the JP6 feel more "Strat", and the Majesty feel more "Ibanez". The Majesty is lighter and more ergonomic, with the body shape reminding me of the Ibanez S series when playing stand. Majesty playability is better, but that's just my opinion, I've seen people who felt it "weird".

People love to talk about Majesty upper fret access, but the JP6 is already pretty good in this aspect, so to me it's a minor thing, although noticeable. The short lower horn of the Majesty can give you a "where's the guitar?" sensation, like the neck is free floating in the air.

To my ears, high gain tones sound better with the JP6: the Crunch Lab + LiquiFire combo on the JP6 is absolutely massive. Clean tones sound better with the Majesty, they're more "sparkly". Piezo sounds about the same on both. However, keep in mind that it's all splitting hairs: the tones in JP6 and Majesty are quite similar, that "John Petrucci" signature tone.

I won't answer this one. Collect opinions and test both, then make the choice. Don't go crazy about it, you can always sell one and buy the other in the future.

A think I'll probably go with the JP7. The Majesty 2019 Dark Roast it's out of my financing plans and I'll have to wait for two months more to buy it and I'm desperate to have a new guitar like this on my hands!!
Thanks for your help!!

Shetafok

All of the JP6 and JP7 models come with matte black hardware. To get chrome hardware you will have to get a JP15 or a Majesty guitar.

Aww, that's too bad hear!! Would love to have the JP7 with the chrome plated hardware!! T_T

johnnyboogie

Aww, that's too bad hear!! Would love to have the JP7 with the chrome plated hardware!! T_T

I have a JP12 in Cardinal Red loaded with chrome hardware. I would instantly trade those for your black hardware should you wish to. The hardware are brand new, without a single sign of wear whatsoever.

Top Bottom