• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

txaggie929

I have a JP15 and a Majesty 7, both 2018 models that are now both out of warranty. They have both been flawless with no issues.

Being the overthinker I am, though, the thought crossed my mind of what if I have a major electronics failure? I saw where one guy had to have his Majesty wiring harness replaced out of warranty for about $300, not including any shipping. That being said, is it possible to just hardwire the entire guitar as a standard passive without the boost and noiseless switching? Or are all these special switches?

I'm sure I'm being overly worried and this may be a stupid question to many, but I don't wanna have to drop an enormous amount of money on repairs down the road, should something happen.

tbonesullivan

You would need to rewire the entire guitar pretty much. The electronics handle the switching, the mixing, the piezo, everything. I don't think the switches used on the majesty would work with a passive electronics setup. The pickups will work passive, but the piezo needs active electronics to work.

Daniel

I have a JP15 and a Majesty 7, both 2018 models that are now both out of warranty. They have both been flawless with no issues.

Being the overthinker I am, though, the thought crossed my mind of what if I have a major electronics failure? I saw where one guy had to have his Majesty wiring harness replaced out of warranty for about $300, not including any shipping. That being said, is it possible to just hardwire the entire guitar as a standard passive without the boost and noiseless switching? Or are all these special switches?

I'm sure I'm being overly worried and this may be a stupid question to many, but I don't wanna have to drop an enormous amount of money on repairs down the road, should something happen.

Hi txaggie929,
It is probably possible, as the pickups in the Majesty pickups are passive. You would, however, lose all functionality of your piezo system and lose the electronic switching. If you every have any issues with your guitar shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll help you out.

txaggie929

Hi txaggie929,
It is probably possible, as the pickups in the Majesty pickups are passive. You would, however, lose all functionality of your piezo system and lose the electronic switching. If you every have any issues with your guitar shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll help you out.

Much appreciated, Daniel! I hope I don't ever have to email you lol

beej

The issue with a piezo is that it's low impedance, compared to magnetic pickups that are high impedance. You can't really mix the two passively. The approach is to buffer the mags, so the signal is low impedance, then you can mix the two. The onboard electronics do all of this, plus the boost.

Now, you can do this with off-the-shelf electronic components if you're handy (a site like DIY Guitar Effects Pedals, Schematics, Stompboxes & Electronics has lots of great components you can use). But you don't need to- you could simply wire the mags to one ouput and the piezo to another, without any circuitry, and run them independently.

That said ... the Majesty also has electronics for switching the pickups. You'd have to work around that with your own switching.

Given that, and given how awesome the guitar is, should something happen down the line, I would just contact MM and get them to repair it. You'd do the same thing with anything that's out of warranty (car, phone, computer, etc.).

You'll probably never have to get the electronics repaired. But if you do, I'd wager it would be worth it.

My two cents.

Last edited:

mildew

Google "Majesty passive mod" for my thread on getting my Majesty going again after the electronics failed out of warranty.

Medic05

I love this question. I'm brand New to anything above a Passive PAF humbucker so I'm trying to learn all I can.

Top Bottom