• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

beej

So ... they are pretty great and I've been digging them in my LIII. (No surprise to anyone that has one.)

For a while I've had this nagging feeling that they would be perfect in my old Morse. It's my favourite player, but could benefit from more even sounding humbuckers for what I'm playing these days. (If you're not familiar with the Steve Morse set- the bridge is very middy, the neck is very dark. Cool pickups for sure, but sometimes you just want something more classic.)

I just took the plunge this week and wired them in. I had a 500k volume and 250k tone pot in there, which worked perfectly. I had it at a rehearsal this week and it killed. I'll use this guitar on a few upcoming gigs in September. (Normally my Y2D gets the spotlight.)

1UVAGG1W-l-kRcRRnxtqoqWLSv0T6HhMI3t17CLd_BXbPA4PsiiqMydX7rGtpPiFrjoYpcBCK1kG4YHc78Hxpge82e1M4jUeHi91gSPJNrpCjeVjEDS-UfUO6xz7qc6SjARRI1434w=w1244-h933-no

Cosmetically they don't have the black hex pieces of the original pickups. I could have ordered black pole pieces, but who wants to wait for a custom order.

Sonically they are awesome and work really well in this guitar! The bridge also splits nicely (there's a silent circuit in there so it splits quietly), though not quite as well as the original pickup. They're very well balanced, have tons of power to them, and mix really well with the singles.

I think I'll be happy with them for the long term :) (Yeah, I do realize this is Morse project number 10 zillion or so for me.)

beej

Thanks! Yeah. I've tried out plenty of others, but came back to these. I think the bridge single is perfect. The neck single could be tweaked, but it's pretty good.

vexed73

How do the transitions compare between the LIII with preamp? Thought about putting one in my luke II but afraid without the LIII preamp I wont like them as much.

tbonesullivan

The LIII preamp doesn't really change the sound. It mainly compensates for the volume loss in some pickup selector positions, and gives you the boost.

beej

Well, they sound great :)

The way I have it set up (500k vol/250k tone vs 500k/500k plus a buffer), they're not quite as bright as in my LIII. But the body wood and bridge construction also play a large part in that.

They have the same overall characteristics- responsive, evenly balanced humbuckers without too many mids, and a fair amount of output.

Top Bottom