• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

elvisdog

Hey all, I just picked up a Stingray to keep my Cutlass company. I can't get it to play as easy as the Cutlass, though. There's something about the Cutlass neck that just seems effortless, a sweet spot at every fret -- but the Stingray feels like I'm fighting it, having to use a lot more force to hit the note cleanly, and I have to get the strings higher for the note to sound right. Both are running Super Slinkys with the trem decked and 5 springs. Neither one of them seems to have any relief in the neck but the Cutlass plays beautifully without it. Thoughts?

bmorepunk

Is your StingRay new (are you the first user)? If so, it came with a 10-46 set (RPS 10 Slinkys #2240); note that the Cutlass comes with a 9-46 hybrid set (M-Steel Hybrid Slinky #2922). If so, and you put Super Slinkys on (9-42) you dropped a lot of tension off the neck and you have less relief than when it left the factory. Adding a tad more relief may be what you need.

What you seem to be describing is fret buzz; what frets does it happen at (below a certain fret/above)?

Note that I only got into the EBMM world a couple months ago when I ended up with a used StingRay, which will probably end up with me buying a new StingRay or Cutlass at some point (this thing is amazing). The one I have needed a 1/4 degree neck shim to get the saddles to where I was happy with them (they were bottoming out with action too high for me before), but I've managed to get the bass side down to 4/64" and the treble side down to 3/64" cleanly. Do you have a gauge to see how low you got it?

If you can't get it where you want it easily, contact [email protected].

Last edited:

elvisdog

OK, think I got it -- dialed in a bit more relief & was able to lower the strings to a comfortable place without fret buzz. Plays well at this point. Need to a/b this one with the Cutlass a few more times -- the Cutlass being the most comfortable neck / easiest playing guitar I've ever touched. Yay for Music Man.

elvisdog

Yeah, just picked up the Cutlass and fell in love all over again. I'll keep working on the Stingray -- it's getting closer -- but holy moly what a guitar that Cutlass is.

Top Bottom