• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Shetafok

I've been bugging everyone here on the forum with this topic and I'm sorry if I keep bothering with this.

After a lot of research, I've reduced my options to the JP7 in Mystic Dream finish vs the JPXI 7 Onyx finish.

I've never played a JP model before but I've tried a Majesty Monarchy 6 in a store and it was a fenomenal guitar in terms of playability and electronics.

My question is, which one would you pick? I love the Mystic Dream finish way more than the Onyx one and the split coil on the JPXI is something I find necessary to have. Also, if I loved the neck profile for the Majesty Monarchy 6, how can you compare this with the JP7 and the JPXI 7? And lastly, how well do you take the scooped arm on the JP7 in terms of playability vs the body of the Majesty and the JPXI?

Thanks for the help!

thejone

Both great guitars. If you liked the playability of the majesty you might prefer the neck profile of the JP7. The JPXI and JPXII have a 20inch radius, the majesty has 17 and I think tge Jp 15. The feel of the neck of the XI and XII are very different from the other two; they have the skinniest neck I have ever seen on a guitar. The scooped body does not make a difference to me. Regards, J

johnnyboogie

1. You need to check them out for yourself.

2. Neck on the JPXI and JP7 are the same. Boards have 20inch and 15inch radius respectively.

3. Compared to the Majesty neck the necks on the other two are super skinny indeed. I prefer the JP7, JPXI necks by far. If I'm not mistaken they are the skinniest necks on any 7-string of any brand.

4. Arm-scoop is a killer feature.

5. There is a limited edition Japan Only JPXI release in Mystic Dream. I believe there are still some pieces available. Look it up...

Shetafok

Thanks everyone! I ask this because I'm about to order one of those options and the JP7 is 50 dollars more expensive than the JPXI.
It is curious, because I literally dream with the JP7 in that finish, having no split coil feature though.
Ideally I would like a JP7 with that feature. The Majesty guitars are the best ones in the world ergonomically speaking but the looks it's just to metal for me and I want a more neutral one like the JP one.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

You can install a split-coil pot anytime, easiest thing in the world. You can also choose to split all positions, not just the middle one, as is on the JP/Majesty models.

Vadauco

the split coil on the JPXI is something I find necessary to have.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but I feel I need to explain just to keep things clear: the split-coil exists only for the middle-position. The bridge and neck positions are always full humbucker. It works this way:

• tone knob down: middle-position brings the two full humbuckers in parallel, just like a Les Paul;
  • tone knob up: middle-position brings the inner coils of the humbuckers in parallel, just like a Stratocaster.

The middle-position in the JP6 and JP7 only brings the inner coils of the humbuckers, that's equivalent to have the tone knob always pulled up.

if I loved the neck profile for the Majesty Monarchy 6, how can you compare this with the JP7 and the JPXI 7?

The Majesty is different from both. The original JP6 and JP7 neck is more rounded at the back, and the radius is 15", which gives you a more vintage feel, even more when combined with its slightly smaller frets, and the fact it has a narrower fretboard. The JPXI has a 20" radius (very very flat) with a less rounder neck. The Majesty, with a 17" radius, sits in between the two. But it's worth noticing that the Majesty neck has the widest fretboard, sometimes feeling like an Ibanez neck.

how well do you take the scooped arm on the JP7 in terms of playability vs the body of the Majesty and the JPXI?

I love the forearm scoop. However, it works only if you wear the guitar high, if you wear the guitar down (like a punk rock guitarist) your arm won't sit in the proper place, being rather uncomfortable then. The body of the JPXI is rather ordinary in shape. The Majesty reminds me of the Ibanez S body shape, and to me it's the more comfortable of the three. Seriously, the Majesty ergonomics is very well thought.

which one would you pick?

I would pick the JP7, because I'm a huge fan of the original model, plus the simpler basswood/maple combination with the Crunch Lab and LiquiFire delivers the best tone of all line to my ears.

Shetafok

Thanks everyone! I leaning towards the JP7. I'll order it this afternoon!
I feel I won't get disappointed on any of the options chosen and in the future I would definitely want two or three more EBMM guitars.

Shetafok

I find the tone in the JP6 and JP7 the best one of every JP model that I've heard in terms of the Piezo/Piezo-Magnetic blend. I think is the one which the sound has more body. I lean towards a guitar by how it sounds clean than it's high gain sounds.

Top Bottom