• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MassEducation22

Hello all fellow EBMM members,

I just had an idea for a modification in regards to the cavity/pickguard covers, with the tools of sticky adhesive/superglue: durable, super strong and super thin mini neodymium magnets and mini insulation foam tape, instead of screws. The gap would only be 2mm max, which is covered by the foam itself. I was wondering if this would be safe to use.

Please see my (attached thumbnail) concept drawing.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190908_215453-min.jpg
    20190908_215453-min.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

mildew

Its already a thing, but only on limited production super expensive guitar so far.

tbonesullivan

I've only seen it on custom or personal builds. They are glued into small holes in the body, and magnetic stainless steel can be inlaid into the pickguard or tremolo cover.

Vadauco

Thomas Nordegg, guitar tech from Steve Vai, modified his guitars to use velcro instead of screws. Seems simpler to me.

beej

Is it worth coming up with a better system to attach a pickguard?

Screws are invasive (so are magnets if they're embedded in the wood ... velcro is removable), but they're easier to take off than the strings, which you have to remove in order to take the pickguard off. (And if it's for a pickup swap, then that's a whole hassle too - you're soldering.)

The real innovation for me would be access from the rear of the guitar so you can pull pickups with a minimum of effort, w/o having to deal with a pickguard at all (and hopefully solderless quick disconnects, too). And if you can do that, the pickguard is redundant and just there for cosmetics - in which case you'd probably prefer to show the wood underneath.

But of course, you go through that hassle and you'll want to hide the cavity on the underside of the guitar which you'd have to remove the pickups, which would require a cover of some sort.

And so you'd need a way to attach that ... hah.

GWDavis28

EBMM use to recess covers and plates, but that's extra cost to create the pocket. I personally always thought that was a nice touch being a designer and appreciating that type of level of detail. Some companies use wood insert so the hole doesn't get stripped, makes it easier to remove and replace screws. Again, added cost, but a nice touch either way.

You basically want a quick disconnect rear cover correct? Most just leave the cover off.

Glenn |B)

MassEducation22

Is it worth coming up with a better system to attach a pickguard?

Screws are invasive (so are magnets if they're embedded in the wood ... velcro is removable), but they're easier to take off than the strings, which you have to remove in order to take the pickguard off. (And if it's for a pickup swap, then that's a whole hassle too - you're soldering.)

The real innovation for me would be access from the rear of the guitar so you can pull pickups with a minimum of effort, w/o having to deal with a pickguard at all (and hopefully solderless quick disconnects, too). And if you can do that, the pickguard is redundant and just there for cosmetics - in which case you'd probably prefer to show the wood underneath.

But of course, you go through that hassle and you'll want to hide the cavity on the underside of the guitar which you'd have to remove the pickups, which would require a cover of some sort.

And so you'd need a way to attach that ... hah.

That is true and I completely agree with you. I think that there should be like a "pop-out" electronic, so you just push and pull to reveal the pots/electronics out. But, when it comes to the pickups. That would be a very difficult thing.

MassEducation22

EBMM use to recess covers and plates, but that's extra cost to create the pocket. I personally always thought that was a nice touch being a designer and appreciating that type of level of detail. Some companies use wood insert so the hole doesn't get stripped, makes it easier to remove and replace screws. Again, added cost, but a nice touch either way.

You basically want a quick disconnect rear cover correct? Most just leave the cover off.

Glenn |B)

Yes, I know. Even though the guitar that I bought was very expensive enough, they should have had at least the time to make the cavity flush into the wood. I think I'll stick to the Velcro technique. And plus, it won't make the inside of the guitar dirty.

I have also found a Velcro ultra thin and strong adhesive that will stick to most surfaces, so that won't become a hassle instead of those screws.

GWDavis28

Yes, I know. Even though the guitar that I bought was very expensive enough, they should have had at least the time to make the cavity flush into the wood. I think I'll stick to the Velcro technique. And plus, it won't make the inside of the guitar dirty.

I have also found a Velcro ultra thin and strong adhesive that will stick to most surfaces, so that won't become a hassle instead of those screws.

That works, I use to have a friend that worked for Velcro. I'm sure his stock shares are soaring right now, :D

Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Inset cavity covers are nice, but it can be hard to control the paint thickness, which makes fitting hard. Also, if you aren't careful removing them, you can sometimes scratch the paint. With the tremolo cavity especially, there isn't much clearance, as they've got to balance body thickness, routing depth on the top and the back, etc. Inletting the trem cover gives them less space to work with.

MassEducation22

Inset cavity covers are nice, but it can be hard to control the paint thickness, which makes fitting hard. Also, if you aren't careful removing them, you can sometimes scratch the paint. With the tremolo cavity especially, there isn't much clearance, as they've got to balance body thickness, routing depth on the top and the back, etc. Inletting the trem cover gives them less space to work with.

Ahh, I see. And I agree, sometimes the paint can become damaged from the inset cavity itself.

MassEducation22

Thank you! I finally did it to my st Vincent model in the back. The Velcro glue I have is very strong and very thin! Bye bye screws lol

Top Bottom