• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Ninemile

HI all I need some advice please.

I made my own covers for the back of my Axis SS. I made them out of wood so now I am wondering about the ground wire that usually goes under the stock metal cover. Would it be in my best interest to put some sort of metal, such a maybe aluminum foil, underneath my electronics cover? I can get a thin sheet of something and glue it to the bottom of the wood cover so that the wire can at least touch something metal.

I actually have been playing with different wood covers that I made and have no problems whatsoever but I just made some new ones, got to thinking about that wire, did some checking and now am questioning if I should do something metal underneath.

Necessary or No?

Thanks!

spychocyco

Doesn't the ground wire usually connect to the bridge? And aren't the stock covers plastic? Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking.

I admit that I've never had a need to open up one of my Axis models, but all of my other guitars connect the ground wire to the bridge. The ground wire does need to connect to metal, but if you had a bad ground, you'd be noticing some issues.

Ninemile

Doesn't the ground wire usually connect to the bridge? And aren't the stock covers plastic? Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking.

I admit that I've never had a need to open up one of my Axis models, but all of my other guitars connect the ground wire to the bridge. The ground wire does need to connect to metal, but if you had a bad ground, you'd be noticing some issues.

Both covers are definitely metal and this particular wire (Bare silver colored one) is supposed to simply sit underneath the cover. MM even leaves a little bare spot underneath with no paint so it can connect. They say it’s to complete the shielding of the cavity I believe.

Also there is another ground looking wire that connects to s little metal tip that sticks out of the wall of the cavity. That one is soldered in.
Thanks!

spychocyco

Interesting. I guess I need to open up one of my EBMMs and look around. :D Clearly I'm no help at all.

beej

The cavities are painted with shielded paint, so the point is to have a conductive surface on all sides to block any EM fields. (Google 'Faraday cage'.) The wire carries the ground to the cover.

If you have a cover you like, you can just cover one side with copper tape to create a conductive surface. Or spray adhesive + tin foil, etc. Whatever's handy.

Ninemile

The cavities are painted with shielded paint, so the point is to have a conductive surface on all sides to block any EM fields. (Google 'Faraday cage'.) The wire carries the ground to the cover.

If you have a cover you like, you can just cover one side with copper tape to create a conductive surface. Or spray adhesive + tin foil, etc. Whatever's handy.

Perfect, thank you beej!

Top Bottom