• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

J-Diz

Hello, everybody.

I now have a climate-controlled room that I keep my Axis in. The relative humidity never leaves the mid-40s- just right for electric guitars.

I'm wondering whether it's better to leave the guitar on a stand or in its case in this circumstance. I know Music Man recommends case storage, and I was doing just that, but I'm assuming that's in general where humidity can fluctuate a good bit. Now that my humidity is locked in, wouldn't it be better to leave the guitar out rather than put it in its case where it'll likely be subject to a different level of humidity?

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I just want take the best course of action here.

beej

Historically, I kept my guitars out, in a place where the humidity fluctuates quite a bit, seasonally. Never had any issues. These days I have a humidifier and dehumidifier, and the only difference I notice is less tweaking (which only ever took seconds.)

Anyhow- in your situation, there's no need to keep it in a case. Let it breathe, like a fine wine :)

J-Diz

Thanks, Beej! I'll leave it out. I like to look at it anyway.

Now I just have to figure out how to attach a picture so that it "exists." :D

BrickGlass

Absolutely can leave it out if you are keeping the humidity at a consistent level. Around my place the humidity fluctuates a lot and the only means I have to control the humidity is to keep them in their cases with humidifiers. I'd love to get a climate controlled room set up one day.

J-Diz

Absolutely can leave it out if you are keeping the humidity at a consistent level. Around my place the humidity fluctuates a lot and the only means I have to control the humidity is to keep them in their cases with humidifiers. I'd love to get a climate controlled room set up one day.

I bought a humidifier and a dehumidifier for my music room the other day. And a couple of hygrometers. Definitely an investment I'm glad I made. I don't know why I waited so long. Only problem is that now I'm afraid to noodle on the couch in my living room because the humidity level is so much different there.

Wahoonc

now I'm afraid to noodle on the couch in my living room because the humidity level is so much different there.

Nah, don’t be, unless you live in a swamp and it’s 100 degrees. I do this all of the time when I’m working on a lick and don’t have any problems. I keep my guitar room around 50%, +/- 2%, because DC is a swamp and it does get hot here, so the outside humidity is consistently high. In the winter I keep it 45% +/- 2%. The neck will react to high or low humidity, but it isn’t instantaneous. Noodling on the couch for an hour or two isn’t long enough—at least that’s been my experience.

spychocyco

What I've discovered is that, at my house at least, a guitar stored in a case gets played less than one hanging on the wall. With a climate-controlled room, I would definitely leave them out.

Flash Gordon

I keep mine in a wood and tempered glass trophy style case... on an inside wall of my house, and I use a Cigar Oasis Magna II for humidification. It is an active unit, and you can even add a WiFi module so you can watch your humidity from any mobile device! It’s pretty slick. I usually have to fill it about 1 time every 10 days in Chicago winters.... keep it set at 45% R/H. Summer it never gets above ~52% so I just leave it idle and make sure it has fresh water every few weeks.

Top Bottom