• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dariothery

Hello everybody!
I bought my Luke II last february. I began using it by following the bridge setup indicated on the EB website,so that it was floating and able to go, on the G string, from G up to Bb.
After a check by a local luthier I've been told that a lot of other Luke players usually set their trem way lower than mine. I decided to give it a go and followed his advices so I lowered the bridge to the point where it can now from G to A. I noticed a nice improvement in terms of playability so I decided to leave it that way but I'd like to know how you have settled yours.
Many thanks!

LordRiffenstein

I've always had mine set to the recommended 1 1/2 step and have always found the playability excellent. Just curious, how would you say lowering the bridge angle improved it?

Lou

I have mine to just about 1 1/2 steps but I had to replace the saddle height screws to smaller ones so I could set the action where I wanted it without the stock ones poking out

jones4tone

I have the bridge decked on my L3. There were certain notes that would cause a sympathetic resonance in the trem springs that I found unpleasant, and I'm not much of a trem user at all, so I prefer it that way. But I kept it at the 1-1/2 step setup that it leaves the factory with prior to that.

tbonesullivan

I have mine floating, but only a little bit, so I can get a real vibrato with it. I don't do lots of up pulls or other whammy things, so I don't need it floating any higher than that. I think I get a bit more than a half step of up bend on the G.

Dariothery

I've always had mine set to the recommended 1 1/2 step and have always found the playability excellent. Just curious, how would you say lowering the bridge angle improved it?

I mean, because assumed that you're leaving the action like it is, by lowering the bridge angle you make the action a bit lower

Keno

I have my L3 set to float about 1 full tone on the G string. On my L2 even less than that, more like half a tone. I think it helps with playability and also I sometimes struggle with tones being out of tune while bending (that's unavoidable with any floating trem). Luke is a master of this, his muting of strings is flawless.
I find the factory setup creates too steep angle from the bridge but that's just my preference.

LordRiffenstein

I mean, because assumed that you're leaving the action like it is, by lowering the bridge angle you make the action a bit lower

Gotcha, I can see that. I don't know that I set my action super low, usually around 1.6 mm on the treble side. I find lower than that the tone is a little to snappy. Maybe its in my head, who knows.

mikeller

I keep my L3's set so I can pull up the G to an A. Works fine that way for what I do, and is very stable.

Top Bottom