• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

ajwardiv

Hello,
I am looking to get a new bass and have wanted a Music Man for a while. I am torn between a used MM Sterling manufactured in 1998, a new Sterling by MM Ray34H, and Sterling by MM Ray34HH. I have played both the Sterlings and really like them both and would go with the HH for sure if it was available in a natural finish (like the 34H does). However, I have been looking at a used Music Man Sterling from 1998 which is in great shape and does have a natural finish. This bass is across the country so there is no chance to play it, but it looks great and is described as being in great condition. I like the fact that the Sterling has 21 years on it and still looks great, though should I be concerned with the hardware with that age? Is the used MM Sterling worth the extra $150-250 or so over the new Ray34 models? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much

FYI - Ray34H and HH are around $750-$850 and the Sterling is around $1000

danny-79

Hi. Personally I’d go for the EBMM Sterling from 98 every time. It’s value to today will still be the same tomorrow if not more. As far as wear and tear goes I wouldn’t worry about it. Built to last and last they do !
Good luck with your new future bass :cool:

Samoht

EBMM Sterling all day long. Agree with danny...if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it, but I'll bet you like it.

ajwardiv

Hi guys,
Thanks very much for the info, that's what I was leaning towards. I have also found a 2008 MM Sterling HH for $100 more, with a natural finish. The second humbucker is not a total necessity for me, so I am wandering if the 1998 would be a better buy, or a better instrument (build/hardware) than the 2008.
Thanks again

Last edited:

Samoht

Hi guys,
Thanks very much for the info, that's what I was leaning towards. I have also found a 2008 MM Sterling HH for $100 more, with a natural finish. The second humbucker is not a total necessity for me, so I am wandering if the 1998 would be a better buy, or a better instrument (build/hardware) than the 2008.
Thanks again

I don’t think there would be any diffference in build quality or any other quality factor as far as EBMM’s work. If choosing between those, Id compare the control diagram and selector switch on both to see which one covers your bases.

Single H Sterling has a 3-way with series, split+phantom coil, and parallel. You can’t get parallel bridge humbucker on the 5-way switch of the HH...a dealbreaker for me, but may not matter to others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom