• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

KDude

Just got a Reflex. Out of curiosity, does EB do refinishes (like a custom shop/tech center deal)? There's nothing wrong with the current finish, but I haven't been all that happy with the high maintenance of black gloss, despite how cool it looks.

As for the Reflex, I can't believe this went for $1K. Such a nice guitar. But I'm not complaining. I've always loved the Axis, but somewhat disliked the smaller size and the Floyd (again, I'm not a fan of high maintenance). This is more like the perfect marriage of Tele and Gibson that I wanted the Axis to be, while keeping some of EVH's preferences (the excellent Dimarzios). I had no idea that they were even made until recently. I'm a little ashamed for having ignored EBMM during those years. I understand the Game Changer not making waves (perhaps too complicated), but it's a shame that the Reflex in general is not a popular guitar.

GWDavis28

Nope, but there are lots of places that will refinish a guitar for you. Where are you located?

Also, it doesn't exist without pictures my friend, hahahahahaha.

Glenn |B)

KDude

Nope, but there are lots of places that will refinish a guitar for you. Where are you located?

Also, it doesn't exist without pictures my friend, hahahahahaha.

Glenn |B)

I'm in San Antonio, TX. Not sure what luthiers are around here.. but I'm a little wary of that since they wouldn't be able to do a new Music Man decal afaik.

I'll try to post pics soon :D It's just stock.. the creme/black version.

GWDavis28

I'm in San Antonio, TX. Not sure what luthiers are around here.. but I'm a little wary of that since they wouldn't be able to do a new Music Man decal afaik.

I'll try to post pics soon :D It's just stock.. the creme/black version.

You could go with the black head stock and a different body color, EBMM had a few Limited Editions years ago that way, looked pretty good. I'm sure there are people around here who can suggest places to get it painted. A lot have used used Marty Bell and been very happy.

What color are you considering?

Either way, Welcome, I left that out before, sorry about that.

Glenn |B)

beej

Nice score. The Reflex is an incredible guitar, no doubt about it. Get that bad boy refinished and enjoy it.

(And if you're looking for a Reflex with a fancier top, keep an eye out for the 25th Anniversary guitar - same instrument, different finish. They're still readily available on the used market.)

Daniel

Unfortunately, we do not offer refinishing services through the factory. We recommend you take it to a local luthier who specializes in refinishing services.

KDude

What color are you considering?

Either way, Welcome, I left that out before, sorry about that.

Glenn |B)

Thanks. Glad to be here. I was thinking Silver (not glittery). If I knew what the grain looked like underneath, maybe something more earthy. But I could be happy with Black as it is. I'm in no rush and this is an awesome guitar and still looks great. It's just that Black brings out the smudges easily.

Funnily, I actually snagged some Reflex decals from ebay last night, so now that's not an issue. At least for a light-ish color (the decals are black). So I'll have those sitting around if I decide on this.

Thanks for the replies y'all

edit: Oh, one other thing. Out of curiosity, is the Basswood (not the Maple) used for these one solid piece, then chambered? How does that work? I saw in a factory tour vid that Music Man has 1, 2, and 3 piece body blanks, but unsure which guitars use which. I'm not saying one is better or anything. I'm just curious about guitar construction... especially this one.

Last edited:

KDude

Here it is...

Classy, but like I said, it's stock.

Actually, not stock. The previous owner seems to have replaced the tuner knobs to a pearloid and the trem arm has a black point (instead of cream). I'll have to track down something like the original. The closest musicman specific one I found on the net is this: https://www.ebay.com/i/254298518709

Looks like a Sterling trem arm. Does that work for this? Or is there a better way to get MM parts?

Attachments

• 20190930_112013.jpg
    20190930_112013.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

jones4tone

Here it is...

Classy, but like I said, it's stock.

Actually, not stock. The previous owner seems to have replaced the tuner knobs to a pearloid and the trem arm has a black point (instead of cream). I'll have to track down something like the original. The closest musicman specific one I found on the net is this: https://www.ebay.com/i/254298518709

Looks like a Sterling trem arm. Does that work for this? Or is there a better way to get MM parts?

The trem bar tips are standard parts, so you could a different color from AllParts or StewMac or wherever. You don't need a whole new bar, just screw a new one on.

joshriggs2

I just got my black Albert Lee refinished to this aqua blue sparkle burst (The silver one is stock). I highly recommend, as it's way cheaper than buying a new guitar, and you basically get a new guitar.

Attachments

• LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 230

KDude

The trem bar tips are standard parts, so you could a different color from AllParts or StewMac or wherever. You don't need a whole new bar, just screw a new one on.

On second thought, the one I have works fine actually. I just need to get a cream tip.

Other than that, this might be the best guitar I've had. Like I said, I like that I can cop some Tele and LP vibes from it. I like the Axis shape, but this is a better size. I hate Floyds, and like that I can do Tele style nut bends on this instead. Then if I want a Trem, I still have a good vintage one anyways. I like that EBMM has top build quality, but aren't so "precious" as to not still qualify as working man tools. I've actually owned a PRS for the past 10 years or so, but it definitely falls in the precious category. I realized how much I dislike this. Like it's screwing with my psychology and I can't be a little careless with it. I must've lost my mind the first time it got a scratch. I grew up with Fenders first, and learned by just sitting around the house and not caring whether my guitar was a piece of "art" or not. I need to get back to that.

KDude

I just got my black Albert Lee refinished to this aqua blue sparkle burst (The silver one is stock). I highly recommend, as it's way cheaper than buying a new guitar, and you basically get a new guitar.

I'd like a plain silver like your stock, but that blue is awesome.

On the Reflex, is getting around the binding an issue for refinishing? I heard how seamless the EBMM binding was, but I didn't realize how cool it was until I had it in my hands. Don't want to ruin it. Maybe I'll just stick with Black, after all (besides, would cream binding look good with silver? I'm thinking not).

edit: Another thing is this black isn't as reflective as I thought it'd be. What turned me off is I once had a black PRS and it annoyed me how smudgy it got. Polished up, they're gorgeous with the "dippled in glass" look, but don't stay that way. This Reflex is different.

So I guess my original question for this thread was pointless!

Last edited:

jones4tone

On second thought, the one I have works fine actually. I just need to get a cream tip.

It likely came from the factory with a black tip. My black GameChanger reflex did. I swapped it and the black pickup switch tip for cream ones. Mine also doesn't have any pickup rings.

KDude

It likely came from the factory with a black tip. My black GameChanger reflex did. I swapped it and the black pickup switch tip for cream ones. Mine also doesn't have any pickup rings.

Mine's the black and cream model, and every vid/pic I've seen it had a cream bar. I think the Game Changers are different. But that's my limited info. I'm not necessarily disputing it.. and it doesn't matter much :)

Looks like the date of mine is Dec 30, 2009. Right on the brink. Must've been one of the earliest (non 25ths) made?

Last edited:

KDude

I tried to fit some AllParts mini Schaller type knobs on the tuners, and they don't seem to fit. Are the shafts in these actually different from other Schallers?

On the plus side, I've grown to kind of like the pearl knobs it came with. It's no different than the 25th or Axis, I guess. I just wish the owner had included the original chrome buttons (assuming it came that way... maybe these pearls were original all along).

KDude

I tried to fit some AllParts mini Schaller type knobs on the tuners, and they don't seem to fit. Are the shafts in these actually different from other Schallers?

Just going to bump this one time. Can anyone help me here? Do you know what tuner knobs actually work on these shafts?..outside of just getting a whole new set.

Top Bottom