• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dado Simic

No,I`m very interested in series model,since it has different headstock then mine old JP7 from 2007(non piezzo) and certainly different pickups since both look the same so its obvious there he didnt use no D-Sonic,nor Crunch Lab.

johnnyboogie

The JP6 and JP7 can be ordered with or without piezo.

The headstock is the same.

The pickups are the very first ones they used to install, before the D-Sonic period. I believe they continued with the Steve's Special/Air Norton set from JP's Ibanez era, until the D-Sonic replaced the bridge pickup. After that came the CrunchLab/Liquifire etc.

73h Nils

The pickups were modified Steve's Special/Air Nortons that couldn't be bought from DiMarzio directly.

Also, the colour on the Live at Budokan DVD was called Gunsmoke. They definitely didn't make many in that colour. I've only ever seen one other one in someone else's private collection.

Dado Simic

The pickups were modified Steve's Special/Air Nortons that couldn't be bought from DiMarzio directly.

Also, the colour on the Live at Budokan DVD was called Gunsmoke. They definitely didn't make many in that colour. I've only ever seen one other one in someone else's private collection.
Ok, thanks for an explanation.

Do you know maybe what would be the closest sounding pickups that DiMazrios offers knwo to those original pickups?
Are Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker maybe in that ballpark or some other?

PeteDuBaldo

Ok, thanks for an explanation.

Do you know maybe what would be the closest sounding pickups that DiMazrios offers knwo to those original pickups?
Are Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker maybe in that ballpark or some other?

As others have mentioned, the Steve's Special & Air Norton are the closest pickups to the original JP6/JP7 pickups. Theose are my favorite pickups in the JP6.

The JP6 and JP7 can be ordered with or without piezo.

The headstock is the same.

The pickups are the very first ones they used to install, before the D-Sonic period. I believe they continued with the Steve's Special/Air Norton set from JP's Ibanez era, until the D-Sonic replaced the bridge pickup. After that came the CrunchLab/Liquifire etc.

Just to clarify, the piezo was optional from 2001-2016ish and is currently a standard feature on the JP6 and JP7 (meaning if you order a JP6 or JP7 it will only come with the piezo, there is no longer a non-piezo option).

Dado Simic

As others have mentioned, the Steve's Special & Air Norton are the closest pickups to the original JP6/JP7 pickups. Theose are my favorite pickups in the JP6.

Just to clarify, the piezo was optional from 2001-2016ish and is currently a standard feature on the JP6 and JP7 (meaning if you order a JP6 or JP7 it will only come with the piezo, there is no longer a non-piezo option).

Hm,there is no Steve's Special bridge for 7 string sadly.

PeteDuBaldo

Hm,there is no Steve's Special bridge for 7 string sadly.

From what I understand the Steve's Special was a Blaze 7 string pickup turned into a 6 string version. The Blaze 7string will be very close if there is no 7string Steve's Special.

Blaze 7.5 bass, 4.5 mid, 6.0 treble, output 380
Steve's Special 7.5 bass, 4.5 mid, 6.5 treble, output 390

Last edited:

roburado

That guitar is precisely why I bought a JP13 7-string.

73h Nils

Funny that you bumped this thread. That specific guitar is one that I would pay a lot of money for if it ever found its way to an auction or something. Lots of nostalgia factor for me.

roburado

Funny that you bumped this thread. That specific guitar is one that I would pay a lot of money for if it ever found its way to an auction or something. Lots of nostalgia factor for me.

Do you mean the Gunsmoke JP7? I might feel the same about one of those.

dave1812

I wouldn't mind a Gunsmoke JP7 either. I remember that Guitar as one of the first Guitars i had GAS for.
Would be awesome if they brought that Finish back.
Something else to remember about JPs Tone in that era, is that he played Mesa Roadkings, if you're looking for pickups with tight low end, i'd give bareknuckle juggernauts a try.
I'm still thinking about putting a set in my JP7, once i got the extra $$$

tekwerk

It was in fact a Gunsmoke JP7. I had something like 18 guitars on that tour. There were a lot of tunings! This was just before the BFR series was developed. I wouldn't be able to tell you the pickups but Pete is probably on the money with the pickups. Gunsmoke was and is a great color.
Maddi

PeteDuBaldo

It was in fact a Gunsmoke JP7. I had something like 18 guitars on that tour. There were a lot of tunings! This was just before the BFR series was developed. I wouldn't be able to tell you the pickups but Pete is probably on the money with the pickups. Gunsmoke was and is a great color.
Maddi

Gunsmoke was only offered for a few years early on, so the pickups would/should be the original custom wound set (very close to the Air Norton and Steve's Special)

Top Bottom