• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Beanydc

Hi,

I have a sterling sub that im looking to upgrade.

Im looking at either the Aguila AG4M or the Seymour Duncan SMB4D.

Juat wondered if anyone had any pros or cons on either before i pull the trigger.

It will be wired to the stock pots.

Also any tips on soldiering. Ive taken the the control plate off and looks like id have to solder back to a computer chip on one of the pots.

Samoht

I only have personal experience with the Nordstrand (MM5.2 in my case), so I concur.

What tone are you trying to achieve? I’m not familiar with the SBMM Sub basses...is yours three band(bass mid treble)? Can you post a picture of the preamp?

Beanydc

I only have personal experience with the Nordstrand (MM5.2 in my case), so I concur.

What tone are you trying to achieve? I’m not familiar with the SBMM Sub basses...is yours three band(bass mid treble)? Can you post a picture of the preamp?

It wont let me upload pictures for some reason. I could email them to you privatly if that helps?

I like to play more rock and heavier music

danny-79

After market parts are something you really have to try for your self, what works for me might not work for you.
But in my experience i can highly recommend John East for preamps and Nordstrand pick ups.
John and Carey are both great to deal with so double bonus!

MaxKlein40

As mentioned above this is all a matter of taste but I am actively switching out my upgraded SUB's Seymour Duncan for either Aero or Bartolini pickups as I am not blown away by the SD.

danny-79

As mentioned above this is all a matter of taste but I am actively switching out my upgraded SUB's Seymour Duncan for either Aero or Bartolini pickups as I am not blown away by the SD.

It can be an expensive trial and error situation but personally I have never had any problems moving on aftermarket parts an sometimes even making a couple of quid. (Mostly losing but hay !! :p )

Keep your eye on bass regular bass forum for sale pages, never know what will turn up

mouth

I preferred Aguilar AG4M to Nordstrand MM4.2, as the Aguilar had more of the bite that the original Stingrays have. Nordstrand MM4.2 was a bit too soft, which is often described as warm. Also, combining it with the original 2 band preamp didn't quite have that magic symbiosis. Boosting both lows and highs all the way would result in a thin tin-like tone, as MM4.2 doesn't quite do the low end like the original pickup does, it's more low-mid oriented so there was some phasing issue boosting everything up. The moment I put the original pickup back in, there it was, the low end was back. I don't remember Aguilar having that issue, and I also paired it with the original 2 band preamp. Aguilar also has a bit of its own character, especially in the mids, but it gets close to a vintage Stingray tone as well.

Top Bottom