• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Fro

I have two Taylor’s. An 814ce and a GS Mini. I guess that makes me a Taylor guy although I wouldn’t mind a nice Martin.

spychocyco

I very rarely pick up an acoustic, but I have a koa Taylor that I love. I seem to be drawn to Taylors. I like the playability even though Martins arguably sound a little fuller.

That said, I also have a Mitchell MX400 that I paid $200 for. It's a gorgeous burl ash, and I like it almost as much as the Taylor, which cost considerably more. :D

KDude

Although I've owned my fair share, I've come to the conclusion that I actually hate steel string acoustics and sold my last one. I much prefer Classical/Flamenco (although I'm not good at either style.. I just like the feel and sound). The same rules apply for steel string. Try not to skimp and buy something with too many laminate pieces (I don't think the sides matter as much as others).

Jp6Fanatic

For me i've always been a Taylor guy. Love playing the GS mini model, it sounds great and offers a lot for me even at it's inexpensive pricepoint.

KDude

Just to add.. I said I hated steel string above, but I think I should clarify that don't really mean that I dislike songs done on them or what other people play. I enjoy them, as a listener. It's almost impossible to not like some acoustic playing. I only meant that I don't enjoy them from my personal standpoint as a player, in terms of comfort and feel. I just think they're tough on anything except strumming/rhythm/flatpicking. And if I put thin strings on, then people laugh at me :D

tj1

For me Guilds and an Irish guitar maker called Avalon. Basically i've got a possibly irrational aversion to 'big brands' like Martin, Gibson, Lowden(the big Irish acoustic maker) and er.. Fender.

But I think Gibson shares MM's talent for interesting paint jobs.

click track

About 3 months ago on a whim, I got a Taylor 714, and I absolutely love it, so much so, I got an AD17 for the back yard strumming, the sound is amazing on both !!! Now I am eying an 812 to compete what I would ever need to play out live, or travel to the back yard fire pit with.

Top Bottom