• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edwillys

Hello there,

I've spent some time to port the Game Changer web app to desktop. Main goal was to make it stand alone. I've done limited testing on Windows and Linux and it is currently not working on Mac (USB handling is a bit more tricky there). The Sync function is also currently not working and I just need to spend some more time on this. Some experimental project open/close functionality is also there, as well as a place holder for undo/redo.

The current state is very raw (a.k.a. beta =)), but it would be nice to have some feedback if you have the chance to try. Be aware that I am not responsible for any loss of data of your instrument, so if you don't want to take any risk, please refrain to use it. However, in the unlikely case of losing data due to a bug, not all is lost, as you can rewrite you instrument's configuration vie the web app. In this case your previously stored data would be lost.

It requires (for now) some geek skills in order to install and run, but not much: terminal/cmd shell access and run some commands. The repository can be found here:

GitHub - edwillys/gamechanger: Electron port to Ernie Ball's Game Changer web application

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best.

jones4tone

Very interesting! Have you by chance tried running it in a Linux VM hosted on Mac? Macs are all I have anymore, but I do lots of work on Linux VMs and servers.

edwillys

I haven't but I don't think it would work, as the USB drivers would still be managed by macOS's kernel. I still need to dig deeper into that.

Sosomething

This is a fantastic effort. I'm not able to test it right now, but since the GameChanger was discontinued (and I just bought one this week), I've been a little worried about the online app + chrome plugin being deprecated by EBMM or no longer compatible with future versions of Chrome. A desktop client is the perfect solution, so I sincerely hope you're able to finish this.

I'm not so techy that I get how to pull from a github repo and run an app from a shell, so I hope you're able to package it in an installer when you're further along!

Wahoonc

Only on Mac, so can't test. Awesome on you, though, for the effort. Would definitely test the Mac version for you if and when you need.

Cenobyte

So I totally didn't see this post back in Oct of last year or I would have jumped to try this out, I'll absolutely give it a try very soon, looks like the last commit was the day before the post on October 8... any plans to continue this project? :D I QA stuff for a living so I would be happy to help!

dwheelr

I'm also going to jump in to test this out. The web app is pretty borked at this point, so this port could be a real life saver - thanks!

BUC

Great job. Sadly my music computers are all iOS. I'd love to help you as soon as you have something working on that platform.

Top Bottom