• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

deluxetwelve

Regards from Australia.

I just rejoined this forum after a prolonged absence (TBH I couldn't even remember my former username so have started afresh).

I've owned a few EB basses over the years, the only one currently in service is a 2010 Classic 4 string Stingray.

Anyway, I've been tempted by a 5 string Stingray again, this time it's a through neck. I didn't even know these had been made, and understand these are out of production now. And the one I'm looking at is at a really good price. Unfortunately I can't get to play before purchase, but it's a reputable seller.

Would I notice much difference between this and the bolt on version? My previous SR5s were made around 2003 and 2005 respectively. I am really tempted by this one because it's so cool, at about the price of a regular used bolt on SR5.

danny-79

Only ever tried one at a show so no real experience but my first impression of it was, it wasn’t for me. it just didn’t feel right, painted back of the neck, pretty light though. Personally I didn’t like it but I have heard good things about them.
It’s definitely one of them that you need to try before you buy
Good luck with what ever you decide

BIGEJ2

The preamp on the NT (neck-through) version is voiced slightly differently from the BO (bolt-on). I like mine NT 5 H. The only complaint I have is the differences in tone when using the selector switch are a lot less subtle than on a previously owned BO. I keep the switch toward the bridge 99% of the time so it doesn't bother me but is worth noting.

Your older SR5's I believe had ceramic pickups. The NT's are alnico.

tbonesullivan

I have a 2012 SR5H. I honestly never noticed a huge difference when using the selector switch either. It seemed like there was just a bit more meat in series mode, but that was about it. My 2007 SR5HS has a much more varied sound, not just because of the Single coil either.

Cory778

The Pre's are really different? Has this been confirmed? I found a stealth neckthru HH after quite a bit of looking for a stealth H neckthru and the neck feels thicker. Does it to anyone else?

Top Bottom