• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jptortor

Hi everyone,

I'd really like to pick up a JP again but my tastes in necks has changed a lot over the last few years and I like chunky necks. I know none of the JPs are what I would call chunky, but do any have something a little thicker or rounder than the original jp6?

Or perhaps any suggestions for another model with piezo and a bit beefier neck?

Thanks all!!!!

Jason

Vadauco

There is no JP model with a really beefy neck... I believe the beefier neck of the JP line is the Majesty. Not because the neck is actually thicker, but rather because it's wider, so it feels chunkier in your hand. The original JP6 is rounder, though, more Strat-like; Majesty's feels flatter at the back.

As for other brands, there are some PRS Custom 24 models with piezo, surely with beefy necks.

jptortor

There is no JP model with a really beefy neck... I believe the beefier neck of the JP line is the Majesty. Not because the neck is actually thicker, but rather because it's wider, so it feels chunkier in your hand. The original JP6 is rounder, though, more Strat-like; Majesty's feels flatter at the back.

As for other brands, there are some PRS Custom 24 models with piezo, surely with beefy necks.

Gotcha - Good advice but I'm definitely looking t stick with EBMM on this! Maybe my search for a Luke with Piezo or Silhouette will begin!

GWDavis28

The believe that the Steve Morse's have a chunckier neck, but they lack piezo I do believe. I've never heard anyone that owns a Morse say anything bad about them.

Glenn |B)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Silhouette is vintage Fender narrow nut width (1 5/8") and the neck thickness is a little thinner than a modern strat neck. 10" radius. It's feels bigger neck than the JP, yes, but it's medium slim in the grand scheme of things.

spychocyco

Axis SS neck is rounder, but narrower. It's light years away from Les Paul chunky, but a bit beefier than the JP models. They don't come piezo equipped anymore, but used ones with piezo come up from time to time.

coolhandluc

I have a Silhouette Special with Piezo. I don't really use the piezo much any more and might sell or trade for the right deal.

GWDavis28

I have a Silhouette Special with Piezo. I don't really use the piezo much any more and might sell or trade for the right deal.

I believe he was looking for a 24 fret guitar, the Silo Special is only 22 frets.

Glenn |B)

jones4tone

If 22 frets is a possibility for you, you could also look at a reflex/GameChanger, a number of which have piezo. You also can find 20th Anniversary Silhouettes with piezo, which are 24 fret. I find the reflex to be a slightly larger neck profile than the silo, but they're not drastically different from one another.

jptortor

If 22 frets is a possibility for you, you could also look at a reflex/GameChanger, a number of which have piezo. You also can find 20th Anniversary Silhouettes with piezo, which are 24 fret. I find the reflex to be a slightly larger neck profile than the silo, but they're not drastically different from one another.

Oh I hadn't even thought about the gamechanger

Top Bottom