• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

the explode man

I understand that EBMM is kind of focusing their lines, but does anyone know if they've announced any specific plans with the Sterling (not Sterling by MM) basses? They're down to only two finishes, aside from the Joe Dart bass. Would have loved a DD3 Sterling, but was choked that they only did it for the Rays.

Daniel

Hi there, We currently have no plans to expand the Sterling bass line. However, there is always the possibility of more Sterling models in the future. Keep an eye on our social media channels for any updates.

five7

Awhile back I thought you said the Sterling would be getting the special treatment.

Samoht

It received a roasted maple neck and stainless steel frets...both of which are, I believe, new to the Sterling model.

tbonesullivan

I guess maybe the Sterling is having somewhat of an identity crisis maybe? The instrument has an interesting history, as originally it was a 4 string version of the Stingray 5, which had a lot of differences in styling and electronics from the Stingray 4, enough that it was almost a different instrument.

After 2007 the Stingray 5 was switched to the Alnico Pickups, and the Sterling 5 was brought out. Then there were the sterling and stingray "classic" models, as well as anniversary models.

With the full revamping of the stingray line, I guess the question is, what can be done with the Sterling line? They already are a more light weight design than the Stingray, they have the roasted maple and stainless frets, and they use the Ceramic design pickups everyone has loved for decades. I'm not sure any type of change is really wanted, except maybe 18V electronics?

five7

I was thinking lite weight tuners and bridge and 18v.

redbarchetta

I’d love to see a short scale Sterling one day. Fingers crossed the Stingray SS version is well received.

Samoht

I was thinking lite weight tuners and bridge and 18v.

I thought the same initially, but it makes sense to me now..at least about the 18v preamp part. Isn't the 18v designed specifically for the new neodymium magnet Stingray pickups? And to keep the Sterling as a separate instrument it has to keep it's ceramic magnet pickups. I would assume based on many factors that the Sterling is far less popular than the Stingray, and thus warrants much less R&D money & time than the prize bull Stingray. But, the Sterling has enough sales to keep it around and as another option for the consumer.

I found it interesting that the Joe Dart Sterling received the new bridge but the old tuners. For the regular run Sterlings I'm sure there's a real balancing act (ha!) to deal with all the different density/weight body & neck woods while still keeping the instrument balanced. Or maybe it has nothing to do that any of that and they will update the bridge and tuners on the next refresh.

tbonesullivan

With being more "lightweight" being a BIG selling point on the Stingray Specials, that may have eaten a bit, or a lot, into the reason that the Sterling came into being. I think the Sterling, as it is now, Is just fine.

five7

I like my 09 sterlings, wouldn't buy one with the new bridge if it was changed. Would like to find a fretless one though.

Samoht

I hadn't thought of it this way until now, but it seems that the Sterling and Stingray(special) roles have been reversed. The Sterling is now the heavier, more basic workhorse. The Stingray(special) is the lightweight, higher output high performance bass. The baseline Sterling is better than most basses out there, and then there's the Stingray Special..not to mention the Ferrari of basses in the Bongo.

GregP

I think there's a lot to be said for the slimmer body. That's one of the reasons I love my Caprice. I can just tuck it real tight into me...it feels great. I think eventually EBMM will go 18V with this model so it would be 18V across the entire range. That being said R&D costs for redesigning a new instrument are no joke. And I'm not sure how well the Sterling sells as compared to the Stingray. Sales are what doomed my beloved Caprice, sadly.

There's something I've been curious about in relation to the 18V upgrade. I play with a pretty light touch so I'm curious...would the added headroom be of any benefit? Would I even notice it?

Top Bottom