• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Clyde

Described as being in excellent condition. Birdseye maple neck.

I’ve never played one but heard great things. I have a MM cutlass. How different will it feel and sound?

Also, how are these different from the modern Axis guitars? What’s the difference between sport and super sport?

326B4C79-F87E-472F-96A7-D126CE5EE715.jpeg

Last edited:

Flash Gordon

Difference - Axis has a dive only Floyd Rose Trem and no tone control; Super Sport has a vintage or hard tail trem and a tone control.

Could be other differences such as tone wood used in body... but if those pickups are original... they are the same medium output DiMarzios designed with EVH back in the day.

I’ve never played a Cutlass so I cannot offer an opinion on differences there... but guessing this would be more of a hot rod than the Cutlass. Axis has an asymmetrical C shaped neck that is amongst the thinnest/narrowest in the EBMM catalog. I believe the only neck thinner than it would be the Silhouette. People with large hands sometimes complain the Axis is difficult to play because of the narrowness of the neck.

If in excellent condition with original case a great deal would be $1000 and could go for $1500... value is in the eye of the beholder, condition, etc.

I currenly own 11 EBMMs. Of them... 7 are Axis or Super Sports and 4 are Silhouettes. I love them! They are quite versatile.

Tip: get the serial number and look it up on the ebmm website or post it in the SN thread on here. Also, my opinion is that guitar does not have original knobs or pick guard and I’d be looking closely at fret wear.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Wahoonc

I would ask about mods. There are a couple of obvious non-original parts there--knobs, pick guard. Might want to make sure nothing else has been changed.

The Axis and Silhouette is the same width at the nut, but the Axis is narrower at the last fret. Cutlass and Axis are exact same width from nut to last fret.

TonyEVH5150

The Axis Sport was a precursor to the Super Sport. It was a late 90’s to early 2000’s run. Most are ash bodies, with the same neck as the Axis model. They came with maple necks (usually not birdseye) and either maple or rosewood fretboards. These also came in either hardtail or vintage trem bridges. They also did a brief run with pickguards. Most were white or cream colored. They also came in HH, HSS, and SSS pickup configs.

Yours looks to be one of those. The pickguard could be an original. The knobs are different on yours. They usually came with chrome barrel T style knobs.

If you have the Trem arm and the case, they can go for anywhere from $900-1300 depending on condition.

Clyde

Thank you all so much for the information. I don’t think I’m going to pull the trigger on this one but it sounds like a great deal at $895 so I will post the link here: EBMM 97 Axis Sport - musical instruments - by owner - sale I did exchange an email with the owner who said that the knobs indeed were not original but that he had the originals. Pickups are original and there is not much fret ware.

On a side note, what might be the right next EBMM for me to get (eventually)? I have the cutlass, and I love it, but still not sure about the thin neck. I’m not a shredder but love to cross genres from rock to jazz to country. Stingray?

nervous

I agree that the ask is not a bad price. I actually own a 1997 Axis Sport and a 2016 Axis Super Sport. Love them both and the both play and sound nearly identically for me. Looks to be in great shape. If buying in person and can get anywhere $800 would be a steal IMHO. I also have a variety new or nearly new pickguards for the '97 in different configurations if you did get it and want to experiment a bit.

GWDavis28

Thank you all so much for the information. I don’t think I’m going to pull the trigger on this one but it sounds like a great deal at $895 so I will post the link here: EBMM 97 Axis Sport - musical instruments - by owner - sale I did exchange an email with the owner who said that the knobs indeed were not original but that he had the originals. Pickups are original and there is not much fret ware.

On a side note, what might be the right next EBMM for me to get (eventually)? I have the cutlass, and I love it, but still not sure about the thin neck. I’m not a shredder but love to cross genres from rock to jazz to country. Stingray?

I'd recommend checking out the Albert Lee, either HH or SSS, I think that might fit the bill for you.

Glenn |B)

spychocyco

The Sports are cool. The first Axis I ever played, the one that made me decide it was the neck for me, was a Sport. I didn't buy it (which I regret) because the configuration wasn't really what I was looking for. Price-wise, they're all over the place. I've seen them listed as low as $750-$800 and as high as $1,500. I'd say if you can get it on the low end of that, it's a good deal.

spychocyco

These used to go for $600-700 all the time. Recently they pop up more rarely and seem to go for quite a bit more.

Yeah. I could have gotten the one that I played for around $700 new because it had been hanging around for a while and they were looking to get rid of it. Talk about regrets. :D

Tollywood

I'd recommend checking out the Albert Lee, either HH or SSS, I think that might fit the bill for you.

Glenn |B)

I agree with Glenn, the Albert Lee is a fantastic choice, especially if you get an HH with the legendary Axis pickups and a solid rosewood neck. Expect to pay $1200 or more.

I have three Alberts and I love them. They are super light, very comfortable on your body and your forearm, and sound amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom