• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

monte

Hi
I am working on potentially buying a 2000 Axis Sport. The seller claims it has a roasted maple neck. It looks kinda like that could be the case.

Did Ernie Ball roast maple necks back in 2000? I just want to double-check.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Monte

GWDavis28

They did not, it's probably a very birdseye neck, the early models did had some great necks.

Glenn |B)

monte

I didn't think so but I didn't want to insult the seller. The neck is more flamey than birdseye and has that darker appearance like roasted.

Thank you for confirming for me.

Much appreciated
Monte

Daniel

Hi Monte,
We did not offer roasted maple necks in 2000. The first roasted maple necks would have been offered around 2011 or 2012.

GWDavis28

I didn't think so but I didn't want to insult the seller. The neck is more flamey than birdseye and has that darker appearance like roasted.

Thank you for confirming for me.

Much appreciated
Monte

Sounds like it just has to be cleaned. Is it a nice one? Axis Sports are great guitars!!! I was just eyeing one on Reverb, but didn't have the $$ and really don't need a 5th guitar.

Glenn |B)

spychocyco

Those unfinished necks tend to darken over the years. My '07 Axis has darkened quite a bit, though not enough to quite look roasted. I saw a couple of Sports pop up on Reverb last night at decent prices, though one of them was so nasty I would have needed gloves and a tetanus shot to handle it. Wipe those necks down every now and then people. :D

Seller also said it was a 1987 model, so there must have been a time machine involved ... :confused:

Last edited:

click track

I have a birds eye neck on my 2000 AXSS and it is gorgeous ! Plays very
,very nice, I will try to post a pic later of the back of the neck

TonyEVH5150

My Axis Sport has a maple neck/rosewood fretboard. The necks on these are sealed with an oil finish, and they develop some amazing coloring as they age. Mine looks like a vintage tint, when really it’s been played for 18 years and has soaked up oil and sweat.

Top Bottom