• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sosomething

Aloha new friends!

I just got my awesome HSHP GC delivered yesterday. I knew going in that they are discontinued, but I've wanted one since launch, and when I had the opportunity to snag a pristine example for a flat grand, I jumped.

I've already gone through and really dug into the configuration using the web app, but I now have a question for all of you.

When setting up coils to work in series, does the position you choose to "jump" the signal from one coil to another make a difference in how they sound? For example, the "stock" setup for the bridge pickup coils in series looks like this:

|
v
-O-0=0=0=0=0=0=
=0=O-O-O-O-O-O-

But you can set it up to run in series in any number of ways, right? Like this:

|
v
-O-O-O-0=0=0=0=
=0=0=0=0-O-O-O-

Or even like this:

|
v
=0=0=0-O-O-O-O-
-O-O-O=0=0=0=0=

So my question is: Does this have any impact on the sound or output of that pickup? Or is it just that making a jump from one coil to another tells the guitar "wire in series" and it doesn't matter how you do it? I've tried testing it but if there is a difference, it is subtle, and I admit it could be entirely psychosomatic on my end.

I'd love to get some input here!

jones4tone

If I understand your diagrams correctly, no, it doesn't matter when you make the connection in the app when you're just placing two coils in series. The signal flow is the same no matter which spot you "wire" it up.

Sosomething

If I understand your diagrams correctly, no, it doesn't matter when you make the connection in the app when you're just placing two coils in series. The signal flow is the same no matter which spot you "wire" it up.

You definitely understood (and answered) my question! Thank you.

Follow-up - what about the order in terms of top-to bottom? Is there an appreciable difference between which coil is wired to output or not?

For example, a difference between this:

|
v
-O-0=0=0=0=0=0=
=0=O-O-O-O-O-O-

and this:

|
v
=0=O-O-O-O-O-O-
-O-0=0=0=0=0=0=

jones4tone

I'm not certain on that one. I would think the tone would vary some depending on which was first in the circuit, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty certain @DrKev or @beej could answer that, though?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If I recall correctly, you'll find this specifically mentioned in the EB youtube channel the Game Changer promo videos. Despite basic electronics knowledge suggesting that it should not matter what order series coils are in wrt ground (because total resistance and inductance are identical), it does actually make a difference. It's subtle but you can even hear it in the videos. Steve Morse and Dave LaRue mention it. I think it's video #3 in the series of 5.

Sosomething

If I recall correctly, you'll find this specifically mentioned in the EB youtube channel the Game Changer promo videos. Despite basic electronics knowledge suggesting that it should not matter what order series coils are in wrt ground (because total resistance and inductance are identical), it does actually make a difference. It's subtle but you can even hear it in the videos. Steve Morse and Dave LaRue mention it. I think it's video #3 in the series of 5.

Thank you!

I have pretty decent ears, and I thought I could hear a difference as well, but I also have a pretty decent imagination and I wasn't sure if I was hearing a difference because I expected to or because there truly was one.

I get why the Game Changer has been discontinued. It's incredible tech built into a fantastic guitar, but it's pretty niche - probably more of a proof of concept that didn't bear out in the market. But it's also a killer-sounding instrument with an insane amount of utility, especially in a recording situation. For the price I got mine for, I don't see ever letting it go.

Top Bottom