• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
Ahem. I guess some of you might know me from THE REAL FORUM aka The Bass Side, where I hang out and do the moderator gig. Some of you may even know that I actually play bass and have a veritable herd of Music Man basses, including a Bongo or two. For years, I refused to even acknowledge that there even WAS a guitar forum, but I guess that’s all over now.

I’m a little ashamed to be over here, really.

Nonetheless, while I don’t mind buying relatively expensive basses, I have always kind of cheaped out on guitars because….I guess I didn’t care very much. A MIM Strat was fine with me because they don’t cost much and they do sound a lot like a guitar most of the time. Also, I am not really much of a guitar player (some might say the same about my bass playing) but I have to keep them around because I have a little studio (“The Scream Parlour”) where I write and record my ideas of what music should sound like. I always prefer that a real guitar player do the guitar parts but sometimes none are available or they want to use that danged Yngsteen Walware tone and I can't do that, so I end up playing mostly rhythm parts myself. Mostly.

This can be upsetting to some people, but I can’t seem to stop.

This year has seen some changes in my life and they’re not all centered around women’s underwear. But let’s not get into that. Let’s just say that I had some instruments (mostly not EBMM) that were not being played and some had been sitting in cases in The Bass Closet for a very long time. I decided to see if I could turn 3 or 4 of these into money and get myself some decent instruments aside from my fabulous basses. This worked out reasonably well.

So this year, I got myself a Taylor 614 and that solved every issue I’ve ever had with acoustic guitars, much to the chagrin of my 70s-era Yamaha. “Take that, you ugly creature”, I said, and the pickguard promptly fell off.

But electric guitars…..well, the MIM Strat was workable and somehow I also ended up with a Telecaster, too, which I guess is the law here in Texas. But I wasn’t entirely happy with either of those.
Based almost entirely on availability according to Dargin, I finally spent some actual money and got myself a Valentine. It is now – to me, at least – about 6 hours old. This is absolutely the finest electric guitar I’ve ever experienced. I have a photo so you can see it – it’s all baby blue and pretty fine. I know you boys like your Lukes (this was tempting) and your Albert Lees and I first thought I wanted an AL but I’m satisfied, to say the very least, with this Valentine (BFR). Are many of you playing these or all you all too metal-headed over here?

If you haven’t tried one, you need to remedy this situation. I am still figuring out why the knobs go not only around and around but also UP AND DOWN, which is absolutely cool but confusing for a man who puts flatwounds on all of his basses. I promise to not put flatwounds on the guitar, though, so don’t send me hate mail.

I’m really looking forward to using this on some recordings! But I fear that the 20 or so tunes I have ‘finished’ for the upcoming BOVINEHOST solo record may have to have all the guitar parts replaced.

Anyway, get a Valentine, eh?

Jack

valentine.jpg

Jp6Fanatic

Awesome guitar, and most importantly welcome to the "dark side" of the forums were glad to have you. :D

xjbebop

Congrats! Enjoy your time bonding with your new mistress.
But be aware, it won't be long before you'll be looking for other volunteers to turn into money, because just like the basses, you can't have just one EBMM gittar... ;)

jones4tone

Enjoyed the post - you'll love that Valentine (which is gorgeous, btw). My Valentines have suffered some neglect of late, ever since I received my first S-type guitar (the Hunter Hayes Cutlass) but I do love the tones and feel of the Valentine. I could get by in life with only that neck pickup if I had to.

Do make sure you get the film off the pickup covers...

fogman

Awesome post Jack!!! And welcome to the good side.
Congrats on your Valentine. It's a beauty.
lol@ women's underwear.

GWDavis28

WOW Jack, congrats man, that's a great looking Valentine!!!!!

And Welcome to the skinny string side, ;)

Glenn |B)

nervous

That is some funny s*it I tell you what. I was primarily a bass player for a long time. And I always enjoyed your involvement on the bass side of things. I had my share of nice EBMM basses but just never bonded with them which makes me sad. But, I play a lot of guitar these days and and the Axis Sport and Super Sport are everything to me so it's fun to see you on both sides of the street! It's a damned fine neighborhood over here. Enjoy.

bovinehost

Administrator
I must have 30 songs in different states of completion. I recorded most of the rhythm guitars myself with a Strat or a Tele. It's difficult to NOT consider going back in and re-recording all of those tracks.

Took my JV to rehearsal the other day so the actual guitarists in the band could see it. They made some really great noises over it.

QuietSpike

There’s a bass forum?? Learn something new everyday...

Congrats on the Vale. Welcome to the club... fantastic guitar, incredibly versatile.

Top Bottom