• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Afryingpan

Hi I've been looking at getting a SBMM/EBMM for a while now.

I am just wondering if the body size on the JP100D is larger than that of the JP60/JP6

Also I remember hearing Petrucci say that they made his guitar about 20% bigger at some point. Did this apply to all of his guitars down the line? (I think it was his JPX video)

Referring to above, do newer JP60/JP6 guitars have larger bodies than older ones?

I can't really seem to find a concrete answer through all my research

Jp6Fanatic

The jp100D should be slightly larger than the jp60 and jp6 since it's modeled after the BFR line. They did increase the body size on all the models apart of the BFR line so the original BFR,jpx,jpxi,jp12 etc. The jp60 and jp6 are the same size. Also to mention the jp60 and jp6 has the forearm scoop while the jp100D does not. Hope all of that helps you. :)

Afryingpan

The jp100D should be slightly larger than the jp60 and jp6 since it's modeled after the BFR line. They did increase the body size on all the models apart of the BFR line so the original BFR,jpx,jpxi,jp12 etc. The jp60 and jp6 are the same size. Also to mention the jp60 and jp6 has the forearm scoop while the jp100D does not. Hope all of that helps you. :)

Thanks it helps a bunch! So I will have to go for an older JP6 or JP60 to get that smaller body. (I just like it for aesthetic reasons not playability)

Man I really do like the forearm scoop of the JP6 design. To me it really adds to the guitar, super iconic. Might be a deal breaker for the JP100

Another question, do all Sterling JP guitars come with a gig bag? From what I've seen on YouTube in unboxings they do.

One last question sorry! Can anyone ID the model JP uses on the live version of the spirit carries on (from the score)?

Jp6Fanatic

All Sterling's definitely will come with a gig bag if bought new. And hes using the prototype BFR on Spirit from the Score dvd.

Afryingpan

All Sterling's definitely will come with a gig bag if bought new. And hes using the prototype BFR on Spirit from the Score dvd.

Ah damn that one will be impossible to come by haha

BTW the JP6 Bahama Blue you have looks amazing (from what I've seen on the internet), wish they made a blue JP60 like that haha, or a blue JP60 at all

Thanks for the help!

Jp6Fanatic

No problem man, yeah it's my favorite of all the ones I've had and played. If you could put up with the non forearm scoop on the jp100D there is a Sterling version of mine called "Pacific Blue" and if you are willing to save up a bit you can get a used jp6 in blue pearl or carbon blue on reverb etc for a good price usually.

johnnyboogie

The JP line has 4 shapes.

- The original JP6/JP7 (forearm scoop).

- The JP BFR.

- The JPX, JPXI, JP12, JP13, JP15, JPXVI (features the forearm scoop).

- The Majesty.

The JP100D has the same shape as the JP BFR, whereas the the JP60 that of the JP6.

The guitar JP plays with on 'The spirit carries on' in the Score concert is an original JP6 modeled after the 20th Anniversary Silhouette guitar. Unfortunately, this one you cannot get. Unless your name is John Petrucci =D

Afryingpan

No problem man, yeah it's my favorite of all the ones I've had and played. If you could put up with the non forearm scoop on the jp100D there is a Sterling version of mine called "Pacific Blue" and if you are willing to save up a bit you can get a used jp6 in blue pearl or carbon blue on reverb etc for a good price usually.

I will have to keep an eye out, I could def forgive the absence of the scoop if it was that colour. There doesn't seem to be a lot of MM guitars up here in Canada. Very rarely see them even at L&M (our guitar store)

The thing that's stopping me from getting a full on EBMM is not having the playing chops to deserve it yet haha.

Afryingpan

The JP line has 4 shapes.

- The original JP6/JP7 (forearm scoop).

- The JP BFR.

- The JPX, JPXI, JP12, JP13, JP15, JPXVI (features the forearm scoop).

- The Majesty.

The JP100D has the same shape as the JP BFR, whereas the the JP60 that of the JP6.

The guitar JP plays with on 'The spirit carries on' in the Score concert is an original JP6 modeled after the 20th Anniversary Silhouette guitar. Unfortunately, this one you cannot get. Unless your name is John Petrucci =D

Thanks for info! Yeah I think I have decided on the JP60, just gotta wait for them to make more blue ones haha. Or find a used one in Canada

spychocyco

The thing that's stopping me from getting a full on EBMM is not having the playing chops to deserve it yet haha.

Don't buy into that line of thinking. If you want an EBMM, get an EBMM. What better inspiration to beef up your chops than a guitar that you love to play?

Heck, if I bought guitars based on my talent level, I'd be playing one of those Walmart First Acts with the built-in speaker. :D

Top Bottom