• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fogman

Many thanks to Scott for posting more of Steve's video clips!
Someone alse did a while back and I downloaded them then (maybe it was Scott?)
Anyways, Lukather appears to be a guitarist that I want to know more about.
Though I a familiar with a few songs from Toto, (Rosanna, Africa, Hold the Line) it doesn't really show me his abilities.

So with that, could someone direct me to some favourite CDs, DVDs, etc!!
I am hungry to explore some new music!!

kbaim

If JDOUGLEE sees this thread, he'd be the best one to recommend stuff. As he's heard lots of incarnations of steve live.

Baked Potato Super Live is one that stands up to years and years of repeat playing. Really hard to find. Amazon has it for about a zillion dollars.

slukather

fogman said:
Many thanks to Scott for posting more of Steve's video clips!
Someone alse did a while back and I downloaded them then (maybe it was Scott?)
Anyways, Lukather appears to be a guitarist that I want to know more about.
Though I a familiar with a few songs from Toto, (Rosanna, Africa, Hold the Line) it doesn't really show me his abilities.

So with that, could someone direct me to some favourite CDs, DVDs, etc!!
I am hungry to explore some new music!!

It all depends on what type of music you want to hear. Los Lobotomys Candyman is a great album, there are always Toto, albums l love Kingdom of Desire and Tambu (I think Luke had a bitmore control on these albums, they have more guitar driven songs)

The toto live in amsterdam Dvd is very cool, l have a Jeff Beck, Santana and Steve Lukather concert from '89, l think, and l think Luke show them both up.

My recommendation.

Candyman - bit a mixer of everything Blues/Fusion/rock.

Kingdom Of Desire - It's got some rockers on there, also some mellow stuff. I
guess the same thing can be said about Tambu, but it's like the next step.

Steve Lukather Lukather- Lukes first solo album, l love it, sounds like 80's rock music, but it's got some great songs and some great guitar playing on there, it's got a host of guest players, Steve Stevens, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Porcaro etc.

Steve Lukather Luke - Luke's seconds solo album, l was very surprised by this album, some things on this disc l wouldn't of execpted on one of Luke solo albums, but it still has some great songs, great playing.

I could of recemmended some bootleg stuff, but these above albums are normally avaliable in every record store, and easy to find, where bootlegs are not easy to find, espessally since you just want to sample sone of Lukes work.

Heres a link to Luke body of work, well most of it anyway. Quite impressive.
http://www.stevelukather.net/Discography.aspx

Anyone else have any recommendations, did l leave any albums out??

Scott.

Last edited:

Knox

Don't forget the Larry Carlton/Steve Lukather "No Substitutions" album......thats a must!

JDouglee

A cool album with Luke on it is Derek Sherinian's INERTIA...Zakk Wilde also appears on it. Luke says it's one of his favorites he's ever played on.

It's kind of a prog rock thing, awesome tunes & great playing by him & Simon.
Jerry Goodman from Mahavishnu is on there too.

Another vote for Candyman as well. Bootlegs are hard to find yes (except if
you're at my house!) Shhh!! :eek:

B00005BC6C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Last edited:

slukather

JDouglee said:
A cool album with Luke on it is Derek Sherinian's INERTIA...Zakk Wilde also appears on it. Luke says it's one of his favorites he's ever played on.

It's kind of a prog rock thing, awesome tunes & great playing by him & Simon.
Jerry Goodman from Mahavishnu is on there too.

Another vote for Candyman as well. Bootlegs are hard to find yes (except if
you're at my house!) Shhh!! :eek:

B00005BC6C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And what was your address again? and what times are you at work? hehe, kidding.

Is the Derek Sherinian's albuman instrumental album? there's one of his albums at a local music store, and not sure wheater to get it or not, it's got Luke and Zakk on it. Zakk is another great guitarist.

Scott.

ripley

I greatly enjoy the "santamental" christmas album... it's campy and has a nice sense of humor - which is something that he pulls off really well and with class. I also really like the Dune saoundtrack.

eliot323

I would second the "Christmas" album mentioned by Ripley - it has some great cameos from other ace guitarists too.

And definitely Toto IV - a good example of Steve's tunes, tasteful playing and technique (did you see what I did there???) ;)

eliot323

Barabbas

Inertia is a must have, the other - Black Utopia, where Luke also plays is not so good. Some great playing from Luke and Simon Phillips can be heard on Merry Axemas vol.2, they're playing The Christmas Song "Space Boogie" style. A definition of great musicianship.

jimmyp

I'm not a massive Luke fan like these guys, but I really enjoyed the Through the Looking Glass album - Lukes playing on Bodhisattva (I can't remember the correct spelling) is awesome and his sound - Luke 2 striaght into a Marshall combo is stunning :)

Terry Hayes

Everyone has already listed pretty much all of Luke's releases. I will say that watching him live puts his ability out there for all to see.

I have the Toto Live in Amsterdam DVD as well as the Lobotomy's live show (from the German TV show "Ohne Filter") and watching his total command of his playing, tone, and showmanship, all while singing, is quite amazing.

My opinion of Luke as a musician grows each time I watch one of these shows. He is an absolute genius in my opinion. Most of us play live and struggle with getting great tones that fit the song and can be clearly heard by the audience (on a consistent basis!). After doing this for many years, I realize it is a lifetime quest. Yet Luke's sound is always absolutely dialed in and perfect for each song. I have heard him live and have experienced this in person.

He is one of those players that makes it look so easy that after you see him you think about what you have just seen and heard and realize just how difficult it is to pull off.

Amazing!

Terry

dan ratcliffe

Candyman, Luke & Kingdom Of Desire for me! No Substitutions is also very incredible!!!! Everytime I listen to Luke, I always feel like I have to go back to the drawing board....

Luke is touring in Europe this summer & my friend is getting me tickets tomorrow, I'm so psyched!!!!!

tristan

dan ratcliffe said:
Candyman, Luke & Kingdom Of Desire for me! No Substitutions is also very incredible!!!! Everytime I listen to Luke, I always feel like I have to go back to the drawing board....

Luke is touring in Europe this summer & my friend is getting me tickets tomorrow, I'm so psyched!!!!!

I'll be at the paris show 1st of july...can't wait !!! :D

Top Bottom