• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

sonic1519

Thanks everyone. I have a EBMM Sterling 4HH Black. Where is a good site to look for parts. All hardware is chrome and I would to switch to black. Thanks for any help

Golem

The parts are readily available, but are
sold complete with a black Stealth bass.
Even the PU pole slugs are black, a very
complete package !

Problem is, the tuners, neck plate and
bridge all have the MM logo stamped
into them, which would contribute to
counterfeiting if sold as a simple retail
purchase.

Maybe MM would sell them if you send
them your chrome parts first ? Seems
like that would prevent counterfeiting.

Does your bass have a black headstock ?
That would really complete the package.
Otherwise, you'd still have a kinda mixed
up looking ax. You can buy black knobs
anywhere, and IIRC the tuners are stock
Schallers, or some other available brand.

You could get black knobs and tuners
and keep the chrome bridge. You're not
gonna have black frets no matter what.
And at least you won't hafta deal with
the "chrome banana", as on an SR4.

Also consider, If you replace the neck
plate, you change the S/N. I doubt that
EBMM likes that idea.

SR4 HP FL 0146 E2-C1 WM.jpg

Last edited:

sonic1519

Thanks for the good advice. I really am just looking for the the tuners and eq and volume knobs. And the chrome plate.

MaxKlein40

I really am just looking for the the tuners

Check out Hipshot HB1 tuners. Not MM brand but a good alternative and very high quality. I got a gold set for a gold hardware swap as there is no way to order the hardware you want without a bass attached to it. Around $160 for a full set IIRC and they sell individually so you can get 3 bass side 1 treble side for the signature MM headstock tuner configuration.

HB1 Bass Tuning Machine – Hipshot Products

nicjimbass

Before doing anything else, contact EBMM customer service. I found they've relaxed their policy on hardware swapping a bit. Not sure if it's for every single model, but if you give them you serial number, they can tell you for sure. You'll have to turn in your current hardware, and buy the new stuff, but it's cheaper and easier than buying a donor bass, like you had to in the past.

sonic1519

Before doing anything else, contact EBMM customer service. I found they've relaxed their policy on hardware swapping a bit. Not sure if it's for every single model, but if you give them you serial number, they can tell you for

sure. You'll have to turn in your current hardware, and buy the new stuff, but it's cheaper and easier than buying a donor bass, like you had to in the past.

Thanks does that mean I would need to return my parts first. Before they would ship out what I wanted. If so what is there thinking on this policy

tbonesullivan

Thanks does that mean I would need to return my parts first. Before they would ship out what I wanted. If so what is there thinking on this policy

As stated previously in the thread, those are original Musicman branded parts. They do not sell them to the general public, and that is part of preserving their brand name value. This prevents people from using their hardware to make counterfeits. They want to minimize the possibility of a non-EBMM instrument having EBMM hardware.

So, you would need to "trade in" your chrome hardware for black hardware, you need to send it back first.

sonic1519

As stated previously in the thread, those are original Musicman branded parts. They do not sell them to the general public, and that is part of preserving their brand name value. This prevents people from using their hardware to make counterfeits. They want to minimize the possibility of a non-EBMM instrument having EBMM hardware.

So, you would need to "trade in" your chrome hardware for black hardware, you need to send it back first.

Thank you very helpful. It makes sense now.

StatRx67

Thank you very helpful. It makes sense now.

Well... kinda makes sense. It's 2019 and counterfeiting simple metal parts simply would not be too hard anyway if someone really wanted to. I'd like to go from chrome to gold hardware on a black Bongo, but don't want to change the numbers. Maybe have the parts re-plated? The biggest problem would be the pole-pieces in the pickups.

Golem

Acoarst you can buy a nut. It has no
logo on it and occasionally someone
cracks one, or files it too deeply.

Some parts are simply maintenance
items: Nuts, switches, jacks ... pretty
much anything that sometimes fails.

Top Bottom