• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
In honor and anticipation of NBD, I'm getting a 4 string on Saturday, I've been thinking about all my favorite things from when I last had one.

Totally into Cliff Burton I got a Big Muff distortion and wah pedal circa 1994. I've been sans 4er since 1996.

Sadly, as was the case with coke using guitar players in those days, my pedals went MIA around 2001, and I never replaced them...

So, without further ado.

I'm going to buy some pedals, and you all should tell me which ones and why you recommend them.

I can't really justify buying that same 90's model Muff, since--now vintage--they run $220 and up. I only mention it because that is at least one sound I want to reconnect with.

Obviously, I want to know about all the lovely EB pedals. Maximize my love for their fantastic products by giving me those recommendations too.

danny-79

I personally use a couple of Darkglass pedals, you won’t go far wrong with anything in their range. Check them out if you haven’t already

DrMatthewCross

If you like fuzz, try a Shoe Pixel and enjoy the ultimate sonic annihilation. Not an EB pedal, but defintely a fuzz to try.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
Thanks for the recommendations, I've been curious about darkglass because of their price point, some of the priciest pedals I've seen... this sounds like you may be able to get what you pay for.

Sonic annihilation sounds compelling too.

five7

this is what I use.

Attachments

• pedalbd.jpg
    pedalbd.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 278

danny-79

Thanks for the recommendations, I've been curious about darkglass because of their price point, some of the priciest pedals I've seen... this sounds like you may be able to get what you pay

Distorting a bass sound and still retaining the low frequencies is easier said than done.
Darkglass in my opinion has got it nailed !

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
Distorting a bass sound and still retaining the low frequencies is easier said than done.
Darkglass in my opinion has got it nailed !

I have to acknowledge this serious endorsement of their products.

I'll try to figure out what Darkglass sounds best for me.

tbonesullivan

Read lots of reviews. I would make sure whatever you choose has a blend control, as that really is essential to keeping the PUNCH in your sound. I use a Sansamp programmable for light overdrive, and a Boss Bass Overdrive. It just got the type of overdrive I wanted for some Muse type stuff.

Definitely listen to lots of sound clips and demos to find the bass fuzz/overdrive sound that is right for you.

mouth

If you dig Muffs, I'd recommend Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian. I've been using it for years and it's a wonderful, wonderful clone of the old Sovtek era Muffs. I second the Darkglass vote too, they make great OD and preamp pedals. I wasn't too crazy about B3K when I tested it for a week (too scooped, modern sounding), but I have the VMT and it's the best OD pedal I've ever used.

strummer

Enormous Member
So yeah, distortion is nice, but why not look at tremolo and octave pedals? Also, for me a compressor is an always on thing, either the Cali76 or Diamond.

Edit: maybe I misread and you are still into Cliff Burton, then I'd suggest you give the Aguilar Agro a try too.

danny-79

So yeah, distortion is nice, but why not look at tremolo and octave pedals? Also, for me a compressor is an always on thing, either the Cali76 or Diamond.

Edit: maybe I misread and you are still into Cliff Burton, then I'd suggest you give the Aguilar Agro a try too.

Tremolo ? Never thought of trying that on bass. Sounds fun though :D
What trem pedal do you use?

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist

Just looking to have fun, half wanting to explore and half wanting to try new things. What I'm seeing more than anything is that technology has changed considerably since I last played with pedals.

danny-79

Just looking to have fun, half wanting to explore and half wanting to try new things. What I'm seeing more than anything is that technology has changed considerably since I last played with pedals.

Over say the last 10yrs bass pedals have moved on big style. Previous to that they were just guitar pedals with the word Bass printed on them

danny-79

Strymon Flint atm, but I'm thinking Walrus Audio Monument or JHS Kodiak, I'd like the tap on the box itself.

It’s just something I’ve never even remotely thought about using a Tremolo pedal, (I don’t want to start messing with filters again but need to try this out lol)

tbonesullivan

I guess I should post this outdated (I cleaned up the cables) look at the pedalboard I put together. As Danny-79 said, there have been LOTS of pedals made recently SPECIFICALLY targeted at the bass player. All the pedals I have were put together about 4 years ago after tons of online reviews and shootouts being read and watched by myself. I have cleaned up the wiring since, but have never regretted any of my choices.

basspedals.jpg

I know some frown on Boss pedals, but they work, are intuitive, and well thought out. They also have buffered FET switching. The Aguilar octamizer is, IMHO, the best monophonic bass octave pedal out there. Run it together with the MXR envelope filter, and it's great.

Also, a compressor is your friend, as well as the sound guys friend. If you play all over the fretboard, you'll find that your output around the 9th fret is HUGE, especially on the lower strings. Taming that is a really good idea. The ISP decimator really helps keep any hum out of the picture, and the Sansamp is a great DI and preamp, which can save three presets. Sound guys love it. I love it. We all love it.

strummer

Enormous Member
It’s just something I’ve never even remotely thought about using a Tremolo pedal, (I don’t want to start messing with filters again but need to try this out lol)
There is all kinfs of fun to be had, from ambient slow fluctuations to hard chop, and being able to tap and get a multiple is really awesome, like sawrooth 16:th notes of you play mostly quarters and eights. The walrus does another thing I am curious to try in a band setting, pressing and holding ramps up the speed😀

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

danny-79

There is nothing wrong with Boss pedals. At the end of the world that’s all that will be left. StingRay basses and millions of Boss effect pedals.
I’ve still got and use the ODB-3 and CEB-3 when don’t want to take full board out with me for what ever reason

Still ....... Tremolo pedal...... :D

Top Bottom