• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GuitaRasmus

Hi guys. After dabbling on bass (a guitarist by trade) for some years, I've grown more and more fond of the bass, and I wanted a serious instrument - been using different stuff, entry level Warwick, G&L tribute, etc, but found the B strings lacking. Enter Stingray 5 HH. :)

I got this beautiful 2007 SR5 HH some days ago (in the process of making a tortoise pickguard for it - trying out a different look), and it plays and sounds really nice, the B string is sooo good, it actually doesn't sound like a different instrument, like many B strings (especially on budget basses) do. Really happy about it, I have to get used to the weight though - a whopping 10.3 lbs, compared to my main gigging guitar, a chambered Warmoth Tele at 6.8 lbs. I've ordered a wider strap. ;)

sr5.jpg

Now, first question; I seem to find totally different answers online; is the humbuckers on the HH wired in parallel or series? (not the combinations, is the single pickups in series or parallel? )

2) Anybody know what the mid eq is centered at? It boosts very differently than my G&L M2500, which I think is centered at 600 hZ. And the bass eq?

Regards, Rasmus

tbonesullivan

I would check with customer service to see if your stingray has Ceramic or Alnico pickups. 2007 was the changeover year. If they are Ceramic, they would be usually wired in series, like the Sterling HH.

Golem

2) Anybody know what the mid eq is centered at? It
boosts very differently than my G&L M2500, which I
think is centered at 600 hZ. And the bass eq?

Regards, Rasmus

G&L "EQ controls" are not centered at any
frequency at all. They are passive, cut-only,
simple tone controls. The pre-amp in a G&L
is not an "EQ-preamp". It's just a pre-amp.

GuitaRasmus

I would check with customer service to see if your stingray has Ceramic or Alnico pickups. 2007 was the changeover year. If they are Ceramic, they would be usually wired in series, like the Sterling HH.

Very intersting info - thanks, I’ll contact them! :)

G&L "EQ controls" are not centered at any
frequency at all. They are passive, cut-only,
simple tone controls. The pre-amp in a G&L
is not an "EQ-preamp". It's just a pre-amp.

True, if it was a L2500 - mine is a M2500, that very much has a preamp with 3 band eq. Still curious aboth the mid eq center on the Sr5 though. :)

Btw, I managed to get in a small bit of time in the workshop (not easy woth a 6 month old baby boy in the house! :D) and got a new tortoise pickguard cut out for it. A bit more interesting look, to me at least.

253DEB83-529F-434F-85EB-BFBE8CA75043.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom