• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edhalen

So I was searching for answers as to how to get my sound from this wonderful instrument. Took a while but I finally decided to put a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups in it. The stock pickups just weren’t doing it for me. I’m mainly a blues player. I figured a set of PG’s would take this guitar over the top with the mahogany body and maple top. Boy was I right!! This thing sings!! I had them professionally installed. The tech balanced them and did a set up on the guitar. I can’t put it down!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xjbebop

Good call on the PG pups!
Those are what I put in my "ultimate AL" if you recall...and that's why it became my "ultimate"...

osWR8PR.jpg

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/67038-own-personal-ultimate-al.html

Tollywood

I’m happy that the Pearly Gates made the DL better for you.

I didn’t know that the stock pickups were custom wound for this run. Are they the same pickups as the original Dark Lord run?

beej

Fwiw, I've been very happy with the set of Transition pickups I put in my old Morse. Same kind of deal- more of a classic humbucker set with some oomph.

edhalen

Curious, how did your installer 'balance' them? Adjust pole pieces, pickup heights?

Both. The sound of this guitar with the PG's in it is ridiculous. I was seriously considering either push/pull pots or a 5-way switch to get some single coil type sounds out of it but held off for now. I still may at some point. I welcome thoughts on that as well - is one better than the other - not to derail my own thread :).

edhalen

I’m happy that the Pearly Gates made the DL better for you.

I didn’t know that the stock pickups were custom wound for this run. Are they the same pickups as the original Dark Lord run?

I have been wondering the same thing since I purchased this wonderful instrument. Hopefully, Daniel from CS will chime in and give us the skinny.

xjbebop

Both. The sound of this guitar with the PG's in it is ridiculous. I was seriously considering either push/pull pots or a 5-way switch to get some single coil type sounds out of it but held off for now. I still may at some point. I welcome thoughts on that as well - is one better than the other - not to derail my own thread :).

This AL has the P/P coil splits, which is very helpful / useful with the factory pups, but I don't even bother with it with the PG pups...

Top Bottom