• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dave_W

I know the standard oil/way finished necks need to have the oil, etc... applied occasionally. Does this need to happen on a roasted neck as well?

Thanks!

tbonesullivan

If it is oiled, then you treat it like any other EBMM oiled neck with the "hand rubbed gunstock oil and wax blend".

What kind of guitar is this on? If it has binding on the neck, it will have a satin poly finish on the back.

Dave_W

Thanks. I have been looking at one of the Albert Lee models, but the idea of having to reapply the finish occasionally turns me off. I realize it isn't a big deal, but it is just another thing that adds to my to do list.

Looks like I will have to check out the models with binding as that is much more my speed.

Thanks!

PeteDuBaldo

Thanks. I have been looking at one of the Albert Lee models, but the idea of having to reapply the finish occasionally turns me off. I realize it isn't a big deal, but it is just another thing that adds to my to do list.

Looks like I will have to check out the models with binding as that is much more my speed.

Thanks!

It may be recommended to reapply the oil/wax, but it's certainly not required. We've had EBMM from the 1990s come through the repair side of our shop that have never had the treatment reapplied and they are just fine.

Razzle

To me the oil (which really is more like a lacquer seal when dried) seals the neck and helps keep the moisture out. EBMM necks being raw wood (unlike other mfg necks are sealed with poly or nitro) are more sensitive to humidity changes, so sealing them with oil (and waxing is a nice touch but not needed) is always a good idea. That's been my experience.

spychocyco

Thanks!

Less than five minute job, and it's hard to beat the unfinished neck. The thin satin finish is nice, too, though.

Top Bottom