• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nikwik

The Serial lookup page on the EBMM site is really useful but I have recently got hold of a 2000 Axis Sport (shipped from Italy to UK) and it looks like it has been refinished at some point in the last 20ish years. The refinish looks very professional and is a sort of royal blue but the still visible build code 360-71-20-00 sticker, which matches the serial number lookup, seems to indicate it was a "burst" of some description. I can still make out some of the original finish in one of the painting stick holes behind the neck plate that looks like a tobacco or dark sunburst.

Just a little intrigued - does anyone have or know where to find a database of the build codes online. No luck with any searches yet.

The guitar was bought for a long term project build (Brian May Red Special Axis in the footsteps of Ritchie Castellano and Jamie Humphries) so will probably end up Heritage Cherry and as it is no longer original (looks like it's had covered pickups in the past although it came with at least one dimarzio, the other is unmarked but looks identical) I am not too worried about putting it back to original spec (I have six other mostly original SS Axis models anyway).

PeteDuBaldo

71 is the color code for Vintage Sunburst.

There is no online database for build codes but there might be some old product catalogs visible in Google image search that show the body and color codes.

Last edited:

GWDavis28

Nice and the refinish job looks really good on it, very fitting!! Congrats.

Glenn |B)

Top Bottom