• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hachikid

2019 Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 5 BFR - #27 of 57 - Album on Imgur

Whoooooooo, do I love this dang bass now! I found it on reverb being sold by DuBaldo Music Center up in Manchester, CT. It's kind of an odd story. I've been playing bass for 18 years, and not once have I ever picked up a Music Man bass, or an active bass for that matter, and liked the sound that I was able to get out of it in my hands. It's weird, though, because a lot of my favorite bassists almost swear by their MM, Tony Levin being the main culprit.

Well, I was on tour down in Florida about a month ago, and I saw a Bongo 4HH sitting in the used section at GC, and I decided to pick it up since I'd never seen one before. To my surprise, I actually REALLY loved how it played and sounded. The versatility of that crazy 4 band EQ was just blowing my mind. The only thing I didn't really like was the painted neck. The bass I've been playing for 10 years has a raw neck, so I much prefer that feel. Fast forward to when I came off tour, I was still thinking about the Bongo but I didn't have a 5 string, and I was curious about it. When I found out about the BFR model that had a roasted neck and an ash body, I was pretty much sold. Surprisingly, I think it's just replaced my Warmoth as my new main bass.

I do have to say, the looks of the bass is honestly still taking some getting used to. If they made a 5HH model of the Stingray design, but with a roasted maple neck that had 24 frets and the access needed to get to them along with all the electronics of the Bongo, that would without a doubt be my forever bass.

Last edited:

brash47

Hey, I got 26! Congrats bro!
f2fa9ea5af9a5531f395cf948c79aec9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom