• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hachikid

Hey y'all! I've been really enjoying the Bongo that I got about a week ago, but I have a question that I wasn't sure if anyone knew the answer to or not. With the Bongo being one of the high end basses on the market, what's with the lack of a string thru design on it? From what it seems, that's generally the superior way to install strings on a bass. Was there some sort of reason that Ernie Ball decided to not go this way with it? Or was it possibly just a cost cutting decision?

muggsy

I won't pretend to have any insight into EBMM's decision-making process for the Bongo (or anything else) but the merits of stringing through the body have been debated to death, without any particular consensus. Just do a search on TalkBass. Some people prefer it, some don't. I do prefer it, but not because I think it sounds better, I just like it. I've never had the opportunity to do an A/B comparison with two otherwise identical basses, though.

tbonesullivan

Of the current EBMM offerings, only the Stingray Classic and Old Smoothie have the string through body design.

Fodera basses also are top loading only. Same with Alembic basses. Same with Spector basses. Same with Sadowsky. The list goes on.

Which custom/boutique level basses are all about through body strings?

I know Carvin / Kiesel was big on that, but it also allowed them to use cheaper bridges that they could just drill holes though. They weren't "bad" bridges, but the Hipshot B style were never "top of the line.". Then they moved to the A-style and something proprietary.

The Bridge on the EBMM Bongo is bent hardened steel, with steel saddles. It is secured by three wood screws and two anchor bolts on the sides, which are attached to large brass bushings sunk into the body.

Last edited:

hachikid

Of the current EBMM offerings, only the Stingray Classic and Old Smoothie have the string through body design.

Fodera basses also are top loading only. Same with Alembic basses. Same with Spector basses. Same with Sadowsky. The list goes on.

Which custom/boutique level basses are all about through body strings?

I know Carvin / Kiesel was big on that, but it also allowed them to use cheaper bridges that they could just drill holes though. They weren't "bad" bridges, but the Hipshot B style were never "top of the line.". Then they moved to the A-style and something proprietary.

The Bridge on the EBMM Bongo is bent hardened steel, with steel saddles. It is secured by three wood screws and two anchor bolts on the sides, which are attached to large brass bushings sunk into the body.

Wow, I didn't know Fodera and Alembic make top loading only. My Bongo is definitely the best bass I've ever played, and I figured a company like Music Man would know what they were doing. I was just curious if anyone here maybe knew why they went with top loading with this instrument as they do string thru on a couple others. The only real advantage I've noticed with using string thru is there's near to no chance of scraping the paint job when restringing the bass. I'm also just used to seeing upper end basses with a string thru design. I've seen a few EBMM employees on the forums, so I wasn't sure if they may have had any input about it.

mouth

Superior way of installing strings on a bass? Yeah sure, superior for breaking them, sure. Superior if you like a tauter, stiffer feel of the strings (yup, I A-B'ed the same pack of strings both ways on 1 instrument, there IS a different feel to them). To me, it's absolutely an inferior way of stringing, no contest.

strummer

Enormous Member
Hey y'all! I've been really enjoying the Bongo that I got about a week ago, but I have a question that I wasn't sure if anyone knew the answer to or not. With the Bongo being one of the high end basses on the market, what's with the lack of a string thru design on it? From what it seems, that's generally the superior way to install strings on a bass. Was there some sort of reason that Ernie Ball decided to not go this way with it? Or was it possibly just a cost cutting decision?

I don't really like broad statemensts like "the superior way to install strings on a bass", but I guess you have had a bass or two with string through body that you liked, so ok:)
I think the string through is more of an emotional thing than actually "always better" (or worse for that matter), and as you own a Bongo I think you'll agree that it's not lacking in the sound (or sustain) department?
As for cost cutting, you are dealing with a company that manufactures every part of the basses themselves, so clearly Ernie Ball is totally focused on bringing the best possible products to the market, and I can't see they'd cut costs if they felt there was any benefit to string through on the Bongo.

hachikid

I don't really like broad statemensts like "the superior way to install strings on a bass", but I guess you have had a bass or two with string through body that you liked, so ok:)
I think the string through is more of an emotional thing than actually "always better" (or worse for that matter), and as you own a Bongo I think you'll agree that it's not lacking in the sound (or sustain) department?
As for cost cutting, you are dealing with a company that manufactures every part of the basses themselves, so clearly Ernie Ball is totally focused on bringing the best possible products to the market, and I can't see they'd cut costs if they felt there was any benefit to string through on the Bongo.

Exactly! That's why it was kind of blowing my mind that EBMM went with a top load design. My main Warmoth that I've been using for 10 years has been a string-thru design, and I had it in my mind that it was a definitely superior design...enter the Bongo, and it's honestly the best bass I've ever played and it definitely challenged that perception I had about it. The playability is a little different yet still close enough, but the overall sound and versatility of the Bongo is just so much better. And yea, the reason I mentioned "cost cutting" is just me thinking pragmatically about EBMM being a business that has to clear a bottom line, you know. I'm not saying the Bongo is a cheap bass...anyone who's ever picked one up understands that, lol.

danny-79

EBMM bridges are bolted and screwed to the body so they are going nowhere. The bridges construction it’s self is one heavy piece of steel. Maximum resonance.
I have only one string through body bass. It’s a reputable brand, it has the option of top loading it but i wouldn’t waste a set of strings trying it

brash47

I have bongo 5s, a stingray 5, cutlass, caprice. They are all straight through bridge and sound and feel amazing.

I have a stingray classic 4, through body string and it sounds and feels amazing. I honestly believe you wouldnt notice a difference if you blindfolded yourself and played them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Golem

what's with the lack of a string thru design on it?

From what it seems, that's generally the superior
way to install strings on a bass. ..................

Might as well ask "what's with the lack of
a NECK thru design on it? that's generally
the superior way ........ "

In either case, there's plenty players that
would huuuuuugely disagree about what
would be "superior".

Personal take on it:

Neck thru cannot be adjusted by shimming.
I'm kinda fussy about my set-up.

String thru is incompatible with quick load.
If I would ask to improve the MM bridge I'd
ask for it to be quick load. As you express
concern about scratching the finish when
restringing, you would prolly like a quick
load bridge.

Also, string thru is unfriendly to tubular
string spacers:
-
BASS SPACERS 0691 WMS.jpg

Last edited:

Golem

Those are somewhat interesting. What's the
purpose of the spacers? Trying to get the
fabric windings closer to the nut?

Thaz pretty much "the long and the short
of it ...... "

[intentional pun, mea culpa].

On the lowest string, it keeps the heavy
[main] windings from wrapping onto the
peg. Most bass designs put that peg too
close to the nut, so it's a juggling game
as to what length of spacer is just right
for the lowest string.

Also, sometimes the lowest string puts
its "anchor" windings across the saddle
... IOW the nonspeaking extra thick part
of the string MUST be kept behind the
saddle and sometimes you will need a
short spacer to make that right.

Last edited:

danny-79

Thaz pretty much "the long and the short
of it ...... "

[intentional pun, mea culpa].

On the lowest string, it keeps the heavy
[main] windings from wrapping onto the
peg. Most bass designs put that peg too
close to the nut, so it's a juggling game
as to what length of spacer is just right
for the lowest string.

Also, sometimes the lowest string puts
its "anchor" windings across the saddle
... IOW the nonspeaking extra thick part
of the string MUST be kept behind the
saddle and sometimes you will need a
short spacer to make that right.

Only once ever had that problem of the string being too long (or the machine head being too close to the nut) and that was on an acoustic with bridge pins so nothing I could think of to rectify the problem of having sounding string on the post. Changed string brand in the end. All is correct with the word now.

Also had the , not really a problem of the string not having enough leader on it. String through body, four in a row machine heads, just about enough (we had that conversation before though)

mouth

I have a stingray classic 4, through body string and it sounds and feels amazing. I honestly believe you wouldnt notice a difference if you blindfolded yourself and played them.

I would certainly notice a difference in feel. I don't like body-through because it makes the strings feel tauter and stiffer. Which tonally translated to less "crunchy" tone last time I tried, but that's a minute difference. I only see one advantage of body-through - to tighten up strings that are otherwise too floppy (every roundcore string I've played, TI flats, etc). But with so many string choices, I don't care about those "too floppy" ones, so bridge-through stringing all the way, for me.

strummer

Enormous Member
I only see one advantage of body-through - to tighten up strings that are otherwise too floppy (every roundcore string I've played, TI flats, etc).

I don't understand how stb could tighten up strings at all? I mean, when tuned to pitch a string will have a specific tension from ball end to tuning peg regardless of the length of string between saddle/tuner and saddle/ball end, and if anything I'd think the added length of "not speaking" string would make it a small bit easier to bend as the whole length will stretch.

danny-79

Blindfolded could you tell the difference between the two by sound and feel ?

The extra tension on the strings is possibly due to the break angle of the string coming over the saddle but still nothing that can’t be achieved on a top loading bridge during set up

Last edited:

mouth

The extra tension on the strings is possibly due to the break angle of the string coming over the saddle but still nothing that can’t be achieved on a top loading bridge during set up

I would notice the difference in feel definitely. I'd take that gamble any day, blindfold me. Tone? Nah, less important.

First time i put my strings body-through was a year ago. I expected no difference what so ever so I was shocked to see the difference in feel. Those were EB Super Slinky strings which I've been using for years and was very, very used to their feel, tone, etc. I hated how they felt tauter and stiffer. I used that same set and put the strings through the bridge (same bass) and voila - that's what I was missing. Now, this was a F Pro Jazz bass, I haven't tried every single body through bass (they probably vary in terms of string break angle a bit), but I was convinced that I prefer my strings going through the bridge and I don't want even the slightest change in the feel that body-through brings. I don't like my strings too floppy, and I don't like them too stiff. That's why I settled on certain strings for certain tunings/needs.

strummer

Enormous Member

Point taken, I guess the very steep break angle when going stb could mean the string is effectively terminated at the bridge saddle, which would mean 1-2 cm storter non-speaking length.
Never have been able to effectively feel the difference myself, but I guess it's possible:)

Last edited:

danny-79

I have only one none EBMM bass (7ender Jazz USA Deluxe 2007) and that’s through body. I’ve always strung it that way simply because, one I don’t trust the three flimsy screws that hold it to the body and two, it’s designed to be used that way so use it.
I use the same brand and gauge strings on everything, and tune half a step down to Eb.
I will agree on the added tension on the strings that’s in my opinion due to the break angle coming through the body. Tone wise if anything I find the whole thing unplugged isn’t as resonated as an unplugged stingray but that’s not really a fair comparison as the 7azz Deluxe (if you know the model I’m on about) is smaller body (strat width and thickness but a couple inches longer, very light bass, great for long sets!)
But anyways that’s just my opinion on the subject. String through body, though neck Vs bolt on. The differences are there but at the end of it your splitting hairs to tell the difference

Last edited:
Top Bottom