• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Fuzzy Dustmite

If one only plays with all of the eq knobs at center detent and never moves them, would bypassing the eq by rewiring pickup > volume > jack change the fundamental tone of the bass, or would it sound the same as keeping the EQ inline and all the knobs at center detent?

Just a random thought that passed through the transom of my mind today.

strummer

Enormous Member
If one only plays with all of the eq knobs at center detent and never moves them, would bypassing the eq by rewiring pickup > volume > jack change the fundamental tone of the bass, or would it sound the same as keeping the EQ inline and all the knobs at center detent?

Just a random thought that passed through the transom of my mind today.

If you bypass the preamp you will lose the buffer, so the sound won't be the same on the other side of the cable. Probaly sound good anyway, like the Vulfpeck bass. I guess you could also bypass the tone controls by soledring jumpers to the circuit board and keep the preamp, that would effectively just cripple your ability to adjust tone.

danny-79

Interesting thought. Pickup-buffer-out.

I’ve not taken my Bongo much further than centred dent. That bass scares me ! :p

Fuzzy Dustmite

Yeah, I wasn't talking about completely removing the preamp, just bypassing the EQ. Volume only, but with the preamp intact.

Golem

Even when set to center detents,
every EQ-pre has its signature
tonal contour ... IOW there is no
such thing as "flat".

danny-79

That's why I suggested jumpers to bypass the pots.

That was my trail of thought too, pickup straight to jack would be something completely different.
Bass and pre amp irrelevant just set to centre dent/neutral, nothing added or taken away

Top Bottom