• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

krystek

I'm just wondering out the specs of my stingray 5, pickup, body wood, the type of maple on the neck, neck finishing(if possible). where it was first out of the factory? Number 50538
Thank you:)

krystek

Yes, that is full serial number. Do you want any photos? (s/n 50538)
Database says only that guitar is from March 89`. On official website it shows that it's fretless but the problem is that my guitar is not fretless. I would like to know what happened. How to find out?
The body shows date of 21st Dec 88` and the neck shows 21st Feb 89`. Is there any way to find more information? I really would like to know if all is original. In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements. Can I find anything about that on net?

Bert

On official website it shows that it's fretless but the problem is that my guitar is not fretless. In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements.
Black bodies usually were poplar at this time. Fretless were pau ferro.
Probably that thing got refretted or someone swapped the neck.
Post some pics also with the side-dots.

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

Yes, that is full serial number. Do you want any photos? (s/n 50538)
Database says only that guitar is from March 89`. On official website it shows that it's fretless but the problem is that my guitar is not fretless. I would like to know what happened. How to find out?
The body shows date of 21st Dec 88` and the neck shows 21st Feb 89`. Is there any way to find more information? I really would like to know if all is original. In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements. Can I find anything about that on net?

Hi. The serial numbers for SR5 Basses of that vintage were five digit so your reading of "50538" serial is vintage consistent. The data base date is when the Bass is ready for dispatch from the factory. It's highly unlikely the EB data base is incorrect.

I agree with you when you say " In my opinion, someone somewhere replaced the elements". Did you buy your Bass new from a store or is it second hand?

krystek

Is there any chance to check if the neck and the body (based on the dates on them) "came out" together?

Golem

The dot pictures sure look like a factory fret job.

The short time difference between the body date
and neck date doesn't seem suspicious ... but then
again, the data base SHOULD agree, yet it doesn't.

krystek

Thank you all for your help!
By the way, what do you think about that, what should I do? Bass sounds good, everything is original...but that unknown history ��

tbonesullivan

Love it and play it. Who knows, maybe the store that sold it swapped the neck for a customer who really wanted a fretless neck on another color guitar.

five7

I owned a 88 SR5, what a bass. Congrats on finding it. Would love to see more pictures, especially the birdseye on the back of the neck.

Top Bottom